sugar steak recipe....looks good.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Apr 29, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

sugar steaks (you could try this with several different cuts...not just filet):

Ingredient List

4 filet mignon, 8 ounces each
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon of sugar
    fresh ground black pepper

Mix sugar and seasonings. Pat steaks dry. Sprinkle (lightly!) mixture on steaks. Heat a cast iron skillet with a teaspoon of vegetable oil until it begins to smoke. Cook steaks on one side for 3 minutes taking care not to crowd them. Turn them over and cook them 3 minutes for rare, 5-7 minutes for medium rare. Remove from fire and let sit for 8 minutes. Plate and serve.

2. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

I've cooked these before and they are good indeed. But you must take care that the temperature is controlled and even. Too hot and the sugar will burn and cause a fine (and expensive) cut of beef to have a bitter taste. On the other hand, when cooked properly, the sugar will caramelize and form a delicious, crisp coating on the outside. Very tasty.

There's a restaurant near Cody, Wyoming called the Pitchfork that serves a version of it. They are only open on weekends and serve their own beef, grown/slaughtered/aged locally. You tell 'em what cut you want, the butcher carves it off the beef, and then they plunge it into a cast iron vat of boiling lard - yes, lard - using a stainless steel pitchfork. It's rigidly timed for the "doneness schedule" you prefer and is one of the most juicy, tender steaks you will ever have the priviledge of dining upon. They will also roll it in sugar before cooking if you prefer. I didn't have mine that way, but I can't imagine it being any better than it was already. And there are no steak sauces on the premises!

3. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

one more sugar steak recipe. the voters at all recipes loved it....5 stars.

Beer and Brown Sugar Steak Marinade
    Submitted by: Craig Jones

"I concocted this marinade on a lark and it turned out great. The flavors complement and do not overwhelm the natural taste of beef."

Yields 4 servings.

Avg. Member Rating:
    • 19 Ratings
    • 17 Reviews

2 (16 ounce) beef sirloin steaks
    1/4 cup dark beer
    2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 Preheat grill for high heat.
    2 Use a fork to poke holes all over the surface of the steaks, and place steaks in a large baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together beer, teriyaki sauce, and brown sugar. Pour sauce over steaks, and let sit about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 the seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic powder; set aside for 10 minutes. Turn steaks over, sprinkle with remaining seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and continue marinating for 10 more minutes.
    3 Remove steaks from marinade. Pour marinade into a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and cook for several minutes.
    4 Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill steaks for 7 minutes per side, or to desired doneness. During the last few minutes of grilling, baste steaks with boiled marinade to enhance the flavor and ensure juiciness.

Makes 4 servings

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That sound good. I ate the filet mignon I had yesterday but I might try it with hamburgers. I don't have any dark beer either so I'll see how it works with MGD