Suckling Hog

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUTiga, Jun 12, 2015.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

One of our hog dog trips we got 3 lil piglets that are all of 10 lbs. sans tete. I am thawing one out to inject and throw on my old smokey to cook on low heat Sunday.

Just doing a quick search, there are some surprising considerations in cooking a pig so young. Rotisserie is highly recommended due to tenderness when turning, low and even heating so it cooks evenly, to name a few. Kinda has me concerned not to mess up such a delicacy. No company and good chance my girls won't eat any so no pressure in that regard.

I don't have a Cajun Microwave but the ones I've seen cooked in those were not turned. Should I be okay? Any tips appreciated.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

A little pig is light and easy to turn. Use the Cajun Rotisserie . . . pick it up and turn it over when it needs it.

LSUTiga, KyleK and Tiger Exile like this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If you have a rotisserie that's the way to go. I have one but its small and not big enough for a piglet but its great for chicken as long is the skin is on. I tried some skinless breasts one time and they came out real dry.

4. LSUTiga

red and Bengal, I wasn't clear but I don't have a rotisserie. red's comment about it being light was a duh moment for me though. Being it is small I can handle (turn) it with my hands.

5. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Using you smokie, keep the heat off the meat by piling the coals over on 1 side and the meat as far away as you can muster. Rotate the meat often if it is going to be somewhat close to the heat. You'll get the rotisserie effect that way. If you want to use a little smoke, use apple wood. Good luck. I am gonna smoke a shoulder Sunday as well. About the same size.

LSUTiga likes this.
  6. LSUTiga

Apple? Man I've never seen apple wood and have no idea where I'd find any. I have plenty of oak and pee can under the barn. Oh and some mesquite from a relative in Corpus Cristi.

7. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

You can find It at walmart or home depot, but pork tast better with apple smoke. Cherry too.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Pee can?? You must be a damn Yankee. Its pa cahn

9. LSUTiga

Me yankee?lol People.from Louisian tell me I have a strong cajun accent. Why you think I took the trouble to spell it like that.

10. LSUTiga

Did it today. Took me as long to post this pic as it did to cook the dam thing.
    Came out pretty good but nothing off the hook. Just to give you an idea, that pan is 18 inches long.

IMG_20150613_140353.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    CajunlostinCali likes this.