Saban's Depth Chart looks for a lock down Tuesday

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ramah, Aug 21, 2004.

1. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Nick already has most of his lineup ... and he ain't talking names ... but Tuesday's scrimmage performance should cement the lineup as follows:

Look for the End of Spring Depth Chart to remain unchanged in positions not mentioned.

:lsug: Backup quarterback
    Flynn or Russell ... nothing new ... someone finally wins the backup slot Tuesday and starts getting more reps

:lsug: Offensive Left guard ... Rudy Niswanger looks solid
    Right Guard Position is up in the air still between Brian Johnson and Terrell McGill ... and that should be settled Tuesday ... finally

Either way ... LSU is awesome up front with solid back ups and little if any skill drop off

Wide receiver top 4 positions including starter have not been settled :wink:

Sam linebacker :wink:

Darius Ingram, caught in the crush at LB has left the squad after redshirting last year ... and is headed back to school in Texas.

I'd give a month's pay to be able to watch that Tuesday scrimmage ... the pads will be a "poppin" :hihi:

2. DJ

DJ Founding Member

I have heard that Will Arnold is making a move to potentially be a starter at guard instead of Johnson. McGill may find himself behind both of them.

Darius Ingram's decision to leave the team tells you how scary-good our other talent is at linebacker. We know that Kuale is making a run to fill the vacant starting LB position over Highsmith, and Saban's remarks about finding a place for Quinn Johnson to be on the field may have meant Ingram was falling even further behind the curve, although I interpreted Saban's remarks to mean that Johnson was going to get strong consideration to play on special teams because he was aggressive and wanted to hit someone when he was on the field.

I wonder if Jesse Daniels' injuries have opened him up for more competition at that position. Saban would not move Joe Lawrence to WR if he thought we needed more depth at DB, and Lawrence was in the two-deep mix at the end of Spring. Chevis Jackson seems to have caught Saban's attention as a possible early contributor, and perhaps that convinced Nick to move Lawrence.

There are indications that Saban has identified quite a few players from the 2004 signing class who he believes can contribute in the near future. Apart from the JUCO's who are locks to see lots of PT, Early Doucet, Mit Cole, Chevis Jackson, Jacob Hester, and Ryan Miller have been impressive in camp so far, and some of them may unexpectedly wind up in the two-deep roster.

It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out. I can't remember any Tiger team that has as many outstanding athletes stockpiled at nearly every position as this team seems to have. For instance, Stevenson and Prude would have been locks to start at CB for almost any other team in Tiger history except for the two most recent teams.

3. ramah

ramah Founding Member

The good part is ...

Saban will find a way to get them on the field ... what a show it's gonna be.

4. roygu

roygu Founding Member

I read some article that indicated Arnold had moved ahead at the left guard position. Admitted some journalist may not know their left from their right.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

You are right on about Stevenson and Prude.

6. edyel

edyel edyel

Nick has his roster down and who is gonna play where about now. What I want to know is what kind of secret plays they have for P. Fisher. A punter who is 6'5 and weighs 235, I mean come on! There has to be something in the mix. Well,I'm sure code monkey knows,he knows what ip address you're at and just about everything. :)

7. BigJ31

BigJ31 Founding Member

I would be going to the scrimmage, but I have football practice...Damnit.

8. Hub

Hub Founding Member

How much for some info from it? ;)