Saban Article in Chicago Paper....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SportsChick, Dec 29, 2003.

1. SportsChick

SportsChick Freshman

Pretty poor article, looks like he was against a deadline, and just through something together.
    www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cst-spt-qb29.html

I asked NFL analyst Jay Glazer on our radio show about Saban and he said no way, unless someone throws 5+ a year at him. He said that Spurrier has made some GM's weary about bringing up College boys anymore.

Assistants in the NFL have a much better shot now, because they are more prepared to take over a team, and they can assemble a better staff.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Thats true about most college coaches with no NFL experience but Saban maintains his NFL contacts and if he were to jump to the pros he would have no problem assembling a competant staff. I just hope it doesen't happen for a few more years.

3. TigerLicks

TigerLicks Founding Member

Very good post Stacy. Not to mention Saban would want control of football operations(personnel, players, etc.). Most NFL teams either have or are hiring GM's that will have a say in these matters. Saban will command a 5-6 mil per year contract, PLUS control of the football operations. These statements were from Chris Landry(NFL insider from Fox Sports Radio). You've heard of that network, right? Will you get in on the Tony Bruno Show pre Sugar Bowl?

4. SportsChick

SportsChick Freshman

Tony is actually on vacation until the New Year, so I might see if Andrew will let me on for a small homer segment

GEAUX TIGERS

5. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

a co-worker, a chicago born girl, told me this morning that she heard on WGN last night they had hired "our" coach. I didn't even research it, I knew it was a media rumor. Saban would NEVER make an official anouncement like that at a time like this. He just has too much class. I look for him to stay at LSU, dare I say 5 more years? Yeah make a Dynasty of it. Here's hoping I am right.

6. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

BTW Stacie when are you goin to do something on us deglected Drag racers? Hey pretty girls and fast cars are an American icon.
    Spring is coming soon and that always makes me want to smell Nitro and rubber burning. I of course volunter my humble services! :)
    check out the web site, it ain't much but it never hurts to have your Car on the net for publicity reasons.

7. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

This morning on ESPN Radio Mike Greenberg said he could not understand why, other than money, Nick Saban would be interested in an NFL job. He said Nick could be the "King of Baton Rouge" for the rest of his life, become a Joe Paterno or Bobby Bowden, live an unimaginable lifestyle, have all kinds of advantages and options - and NOT have to deal with salary caps, free agency, meddling owners, players who make more than the coach, etc. Greenberg (and Chris Mohr) also said that the college town atmosphere would, to them, represent a far superior living environment than any NFL city. I hope those are points that Nick Saban has considered, and expect that he has.

8. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

I bet Jimmy Johnson knew those things as well. I don't think Nick is leaving soon, but I have a feeling that Jimmy Johnson and NOT Joe Paterno may be the role model for him.

Five years in the NFL at 3.5 million a year and even if it doesn't work out you're retired at 60 and able to enjoy so many things. I really think the days of Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, and Bo Schembechler are over.