Remember

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Kikicaca, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

OUR DAY ON THE BEACH
    teaserbox_4094322617.jpg
    BECAUSE OF THEIR DAY ON THE BEACH
    dday3.jpg

fanatic, kluke, Frogleg and 3 others like this.
  2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Originally established to mark the end of WWI, today we mark the sacrifice of the veterans who put their lives on the line to ensure this shining country does not vanish from the earth. It’s also a day for those of us who have lost family and friends to remember them and honor their sacrifice.

kluke and mctiger like this.
  3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I dusted off my trumpet and played Taps at 11:00 am. Apparently, lots of people all over the country participated.

I went to.m the cemetery and (hopefully) honored my uncle. He retired as a Brigadier General from the Army. At the time he was Louisiana's highest ranking service member. I wish I could have gotten him to open up about his time behind enemy lines in WW2.

HalloweenRun, kcal and shane0911 like this.
  4. BornOnTheBayou

BornOnTheBayou 2022 Masters Pick 'Em Champion

Many years ago my father in law and mother in law were visiting us. We had spent the afternoon playing golf and were on the patio enjoying a couple of beverages. I spent a year in Nam about 5 years previously and he asked me about that experience. I knew he flew a B-24 in WW2 and asked him about those experiences. Some of the stories he told me made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. America's Greatest Generation indeed. Iconusaflagsmiley.gif

HalloweenRun, fanatic, kluke and 3 others like this.
  5. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I had an uncle, by marriage, who flew bombers over Europe in WWII. After hearing some of those stories I figured the bravest guys in the war were the one's that got back in the airplanes after one of those missions.

HalloweenRun and fanatic like this.
  6. Rex

Rex Founding Member

They really should have left Armistice Day alone, and established a new separate holiday (June 6) for Memorial Day.

At any rate, your point is well taken, and I always remind everybody all around me how very much (everything) some have given for our country.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  7. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

He was lucky to be alive the life expectancy of bomber crews especially early in the European Theater. Hats off to your father in law. My dad fought at the Battle of the Bulge in Pattons 3rd. My uncle Bob was at Tarawa in the Pacific. Yes we have lost some tough patriotic men.

8. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

If you really mean this there is hope for you yet. Watch Band of Brothers and The Pacific. There is an old documentary that came out right after WWII called Victory at Sea which is awesome.