RB Trent Richardson

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by tboy, Jan 8, 2009.

1. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Call me crazy, but I don't think Richardson will be a great back in college. I think he will be good, but I think he lacks the vision needed to be a special back. He is essentially a power back used to running over LB's and DB's in high school. When I watched him in the UA game he did not appear to be as big as his 225 lb listing. When compared to the other players he didn't seem as though he could barrel through them like Charles Scott, for instance, but he seems to be exactly the same style runner. Even his report on Scout indicates he lacks elusiveness. Unless he is able to change his style once he begins playing with the big boys I don't think he will set the world on fire. I think Michael Ford will be the better back because he is more versatile and more elusive. In addition, our big power back from Texas may surprise and prove to be better than either of the other two, you just never know.

2. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Re: Trent Richardson

It is probably not a good idea to ever make a blanket assessment of any player based upon one game, much less an all star game. There are limitations to what the kids are allowed to do, and the Oline play is usually geared towards pass blocking. Run blocking takes a bit more timing on the line's part. Without adequate timing, no rb looks good, and in that game, no rb did.

Lots of film available on him, he has worked out for many different coaches, and his offer sheet reflects that Rivals/Scout probably have him ranked accurately.

I will be happy to see him get planted by LSU defenders, but he will still have a very good career at bama. I think Saban favors a good run offense there, and barring injury, Trent will thrive.

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

The dozen analysts that were there mainly said they thought he looked bigger than listed. Also his vision is what he is known best for as his high school team pretty much sucked and he had to create everything. If anything, he is a Charles Scott with better lateral movement and vision. There is a reason that he is listed as the best back, with the best fluidity and vision in every camp he attends.

UA Game practice report:

"5-11/210, Pensacola (Fla.) Escambia
    Richardson continued his dominating week in the backfield on Friday. He exhibits a unique mixture of speed and size in his running style. He isn't scared of dropping a shoulder to break a tackle and gain a few more yards, but he doesn't always rely on being physical. He can also exhibit a bit of finesse in his running style to evade defenders. He can attack both the inside and the outside of a defense with speed and power. "

4. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Oh I didn't just base it on one game. I watched video of him from this season and read the analysts reports. They came up with the same conclusion I did, that he is a power back who isn't elusive at the high school level. I just think that he won't fill out much more because he is already built pretty thick and that he is peaking early so to speak. I agree if he goes to Bama and plays behind good blocking he can have a Coffee-like (is that a word?:)) career.

5. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Apparently I was right, he isn't 225, but around 210 Lbs. Even if they think he looks bigger than 210 that doesn't mean he is 225. We will see whether he has the vision and balance to be a great runner-hopefully he doesn't if he goes to Bama-hopefully he does if he miraculously comes to LSU. I just know that it is possible to be mistaken about a consensus RB recruit. I was disappointed in Keiland Williams. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have him because he was part of our BCS title season. I just thought he would be a superstar back. He had records at Hargrove, a legit 4.4, 40, was 220lbs, and USC was in a battle with us over him just like McKnight.

6. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Im not sure where the 225lbs. Im not aware of any measurements that were taken at the a UA game and a lot of these high schools misrepresent the physical stats of their players. You could see it in both those all-star games. Many of the players appeared much smaller than their listed height/weight.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

It's possible to be mistaken about any position, but particularly skill position because highlight films can hide so many inadequacies. Keiland is a perfect example of this.

8. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

I never saw him listed anywhere as 225, and have not seen any analysts conclude he was not elusive. Would love to read that if it exists.

There are never guarantees on player development, but a higher % of 5* players make an impact, as opposed to lesser rated players. The rankings are not always accurate, but the offer sheets are usually a good tip as well.

Randle did well in the all star game but he didn't "wow" me. Is there reason to think he will be a disappointment as well?

I just don't see what you are seeing in Trent.

9. tboy

tboy Founding Member

The 225lbs is off of his profile on scout. Because he is considered a power back and his videos show him battering LB's and DB's I thought it was a factor. I know these players add an inch or 2 and a few pounds that is why I like to get actual measurement figures from combines. Charles Scott is a legit 230 plus but Richardson will never be that big IMO. Pratt could easily carry 230 plus though because he has the frame and is taller.

10. tboy

tboy Founding Member

No, Randle looked and acted the part physically. He looked to me as if he was one of the strongest and physically mature receivers on the field and he could still add muscle. He should have no trouble getting off the line against DB's. He has great potential.

The 225lbs and elusiveness as a weakness comment is off of Scout.