Poutine recipe

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by vetsurg, Jun 28, 2015.

1. vetsurg

vetsurg Chuck Norris is a Warren Morris fan

Cooked a big piece of brisket in my Dutch oven with some French onion soup and beef broth to make French dip sandwiches a few weeks ago. I froze all the gravy and decided to make a poutine gravy with it this afternoon.
    Here's the recipe I used and it came out great!
    • 2 tablespoons (30 ml) cornstarch
    • 2 tablespoons (30 ml) water
    • 6 tablespoons (90 ml) unsalted butter
    • 1/4 cup (60 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
    • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    • 2 cans 10 oz (284 ml) beef broth, undiluted
    • 1 can 10 ounces (284 ml) chicken broth, undiluted
    • Pepper
    Instead of the 3 cans of broth I used an equal amount of my leftover gravy. First I made a roux and then added garlic, my gravy, pepper and the corn starch. Came out really good!
    1. In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Set aside.
    2. In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring until the mixture turns golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
    3. Add the broth and bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk. Stir in the cornstarch and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Season with pepper.
    Served it over some fresh potato fries and softened some cheddar cheese curds with it and drowned it in the gravy. Washed it down with an Abita Amber.

CajunlostinCali and red55 like this.
  2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

this was a great post even before you got to the abita amber. now its rainbow light worthy of a celebration.

3. old school

old school Veteran Member

I never thought of combining chicken and beef broth or gravy. Maybe I'll try it.

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

Btw, it's pronounce poutin. I was in Ottawa twice last year. Had an awesome one with brisket a pickles on top.