Oh boy, Louisiana is last again....

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by USMTiger, Mar 12, 2007.

1. USMTiger

USMTiger Founding Member

This pisses me off...

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyid=2007-03-12T210933Z_01_N12372033_RTRUKOC_0_US-USA-COCKFIGHTING-BAN.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

"New Mexico outlawed cockfighting on Monday in a victory for animal welfare groups, leaving Louisiana as the last state in the country where the controversial practice is legal."

And listen to his moron. How do you argue with this logic?

"State Sen. Phil Griego, a Democrat who opposed the ban, called it a "slippery slope."
    "What's next? A ban on rodeos? Then hunting and fishing? Jesus never said cockfighting was a sin," he said during a hearing on the legislation. "

So my question is, why is cockfighting still legal? Is it not considered cruelty to animals to force them to engage in brutal combat with each other? Are there any benefits to allowing this practice other than letting the coonasses mingle with the mexicans in harmony?

Are there any supporters of cockfighting on these forums that may be able to give any sort of rational reason why Louisiana is the only state to have this as a legal practice? Maybe I'm missing something but you'd think that with the destruction of it's biggest city and revenue producer, this state would want to do things to reverse the "Bobby Boucher" image it so enjoys....

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I've never seen a cock fight, but I imagine it is pretty gruesome. I have seen two bantam roosters go after each other, and it ain't pretty. On the other hand, they are just chickens. Who really gives a chit about chickens. I ate one fot lunch today.

3. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

I saw this HBO special on cock fighting once and so they showed how awful it was. Then they interviewed some redneck who raised roosters to fight. It was classic. His logic as to why they should keep cock fighting legal was simple.

"It's a known fact that the first thing communist do when they take over a country is outlaw cockfightin. So by keepin cockfightin legal you're fightin communists"

it was awesome!

4. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

From my understanding it is because chickens are fowl and not animals

5. USMTiger

USMTiger Founding Member

The chicken you ate was executed in a semi-humane manner. Lulled to sleep. He didn't have to battle other chickens to death.

I take it the Jesus argument from that New Mexico Democrat won you over to the cockfighting side ;)

6. USMTiger

USMTiger Founding Member

So does anyone know what actually occurs at these fights? Has anyone ever actually been to one? Maybe its the circles I run around with (>$3k/yr income, no couches in the yard, etc), but I don't really think I've ever met anyone into cockfights... Who goes to these events? Is it a Mexican thing? Or is it considered Cajun?

7. USMTiger

USMTiger Founding Member

The Kansas Board of Education has failed you, my friend.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i was finally outlawed in oklahoma in 2002. thank god!

the same stupid arguments were used here to try to keep it legal and not a single one has come true.

the roosters don't just fight, they have razor sharp little spurs strapped to their feet to make it even more bloody and barbaric. it is cruel and imhumane. how anyone could call it a "sport" is beyond me. from what i can tell, in oklahoma it is only the ignorant, unwashed, back-wood bubbas that support it. unfortunately, that includes a couple of people in the state legislature that suppport it also. luckily, it was an initiative petition ballot referendum that did away with it. or lege didn't have the cajones to do so.

9. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

How bout deem apples!?! :thumb:

10. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Thats pretty accurate. It is a nice money maker for certain people in areas where gambling is illegal. The razors and other devices used show how sad it is. I'm no PETA spokesman, but from all the cockfighting videos Ive seen I cant find one reason why it is good.