More Cancel Culture Lunacy

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Feb 24, 2021.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

If this were the world I grew up in, I'd laugh because I'd know you were joking. But in bizzaro clown world, I have no idea if this is true or not.

BAY0U BENGAL likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

May the farce be with you

fanatic likes this.
  3. APPTiger

APPTiger still unable to post Geaux Tigers!

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

APPTiger likes this.
  5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Green lives matter

onceanlsufan and Winston1 like this.
  7. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

If you think that’s bad, read this from The Bulwark
    The left targets the left.

[​IMG]
    A memorial and mural that honors George Floyd by depicting him as an angel in Houston where he grew up. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
    You probably missed this story from Madison, Wisconsin, because it’s not really a big deal. But it’s a weird tale about the various tripwires of performative wokeness.

The story also exposes an under-appreciated aspect of the woke wars: the targets are not always retrograde conservatives. In woke precincts, it is actually far more likely that the targets will instead be other progressives who are insufficiently woke.

Here’s what happened: Two members of the “Sustainable Madison Committee” resigned in a cloud of performative indignation after two of their colleagues made “clearly racist statements.”

The abhorrent comment? “God bless George Floyd.”

I had to read this story three or four times to understand who was offended by that and why.

In fact, it’s so mind-bendingly difficult to follow that you really need a score card to keep track. So here’s my best shot.

The Dramatis Personae
    The performatively woke members of the Sustainable Madison Committee who were offended and resigned:

Matthew Braunginn and Nada Elmikashfi resigned Wednesday by email from the committee over comments made by a committee member during a Monday meeting.

The insufficiently woke progressives:

Denise DeMarb and Lance Green .

The Woke War
    What they said that was “abhorrent” and “clearly racist”:

DeMarb was trying to make the point that the SMC should be intentionally anti-racist in the way it approaches sustainability.

She said “God bless George Floyd,” and that Floyd’s death allowed white people to see and understand racism.

Why this was deemed to be offensive:

“The very idea George Floyd’s death somehow shook white people awake is a lie in itself,” the perfomatively woke members wrote. “It also dehumanizes him, it makes him a martyr for white people to become better, to drop the project of whiteness.”

“The implication (was) that white people got better, that he served as a martyr for this country,” Braunginn said in an interview Wednesday. “The martyrdom of Black Americans is very prevalent among particularly white liberals and we see that, I think, in how we celebrate MLK and how a lot of these folks will uphold the whitewashed and martyred idea of Dr. King without actually exploring his radical nature and radical ideology.”

Braunginn called DeMarb’s remark “the typical well meaning white liberal kind of paternalistic type of racism.”

The abject apology:

“I understand that my words caused harm and had a horrible, negative impact regardless of my intention,” DeMarb said. “I’m committed to being an antiracist and to be an ally and this is a huge example of the work that I’ve yet to do.”

How the apology was received and rejected:

Elmikashfi recounted her conversation with DeMarb:

“She called to apologize in a way and it just really rang hollow to me. It rang like somebody that, one, didn’t reflect on what she said before she heard that I was upset,” he said. “She also resorted to it as an individual hurt, in saying sorry she hurt me, without an ability to see a wider level and see as what it was, racist behavior, racist mentality. And I kind of started to say that and I’m like, ‘You’ve got a lot of work to do.’ And she said, ‘I’m trying to do that work. Maybe you could help me.’ And I told her that it’s not for me, I’m not here to do the work for you. You’ve got to do it yourself.”

What else was said at the meeting:

Lance Green, noted that the committee’s antiracist work included making energy-efficient homes accessible to low-income families.

Why this was deemed to be offensive:

Braunginn said “equated being poor to being Black.”

What they demanded:

“At no point did either of the chairs of this committee stop the meeting to address two clearly racist statements,” the wrote. “It became abundantly clear that if anything was to be said and these issues were to be addressed, it would be incumbent upon one of the four people of color present at the time to address these abhorrent comments.”…

The resignation letter demands the resignation of DeMarb and Green as well as new policies to address racism in city committees.

I’ve actually written about Madison’s wokeness before, and Elmikashi in particular. After protesters tore down the statue of a 19th century abolitionist, Hans Christian Heg, Elmikashfi, then a Democratic candidate for the state Senate from the Madison area, tweeted her support for the destruction, arguing that the “statue of Heg is a monument to a white savior and not a monument to black liberation.”

She also applauded toppling the statue of Lady Forward, telling The Associated Press: “The symbolism of Lady Forward and that word Forward has really been only for white Wisconsinites.”

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If there's a God he made these idiots too stupid to remember to eat. Hopefully they will all starve to death

Winston1 likes this.
  10. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

I just say ... bring on the civil war. Let's get it over with. This death by a thousand cuts is making the powder keg bigger each day.

Bengal B and fanatic like this.