Miss State hyperbole

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerpub, Sep 28, 2020.

1. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

The game I watched Saturday gave me one really over-riding thought. We played bad and might be mediocre this season. However, Miss State is damn lucky they drew LSU as first game. Why did Costello, who I believe was a combination of good (not great) and lucky, throw for 600? LSU let him. Plain and simple. I felt like about half if his passing yards were run after catch. Half the time, our DBs didn’t hit the receiver until closing the 10-15 yard gap they left open. When Costello and the so called “air raid” hit an good and experienced SEC D, they’ll come crashing back down to earth. With LSU playing as bad as we did, we were nearly in a position to Win that air raid game. If our defensive backs were even 1/10 better than they were Saturday, we win. This is not sour grapes. Just a dose of reality to the national sports media and a few state fans.

BayouBengal014, Brian and TBTrumpet like this.
  2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Man coverage should have never been called when Stingley didn’t dress.

GiantDuckFan and BAY0U BENGAL like this.
  3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Maybe but with so much inexperience at CB it’s doubtful they would have done better. Losing him so late was devastating. There was no time to adjust.
    Not saying the performance didn’t suck....it did. There is no excuse for DBU to look like Ned and the first reader.

Bayou Tiger likes this.
  4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I'm not so sure that I agree but no sense in closing the gate after the cows done got out.

Bring on the next and lets see if our QB can make it through a series and not need a depend

Bayou Tiger and furduknfish like this.
  5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I like how you say "there is no excuse". Of course there is an excuse. Bad scheme with freshman players IS the excuse bud.

If you go back and watch any elite freshman DB, they most all look like ours did Saturday. It took Stingley a few games to settle down and start turning his head.

Not a single DB turned around Saturday. That tells me the game pace was too fast. When that happens, I am of the opinion to keep the ball in front of the secondary via zone.

But what do I know.

BayouBengal014, kcal and GiantDuckFan like this.
  6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I will say this, zone is much harder to learn and a lot of these kids had like 2 weeks of practice. Still, MSU had the same set of circumstances.

Bayou Tiger and Winston1 like this.
  7. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

He’ll buck up. When I started my job I all but needed depenz (or however the fuck you spell it). After a while I settled in and became comfortable. Brennan will start hitting his guys. They’re definitely open.

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I hope you are right but I'm not seeing it. He looked good last year but there is a world of difference between getting snaps when it is almost impossible for you to lose the game and being counted on to win the game. What I saw was fear. Fear is a confidence eater and it I didn't see a lot of that either. Vandy will be a great test for him. If he spits the bit on Sat then it is time to get him out of there and fire one of those youngsters in there and pray they have a little moxy.

tirk and GiantDuckFan like this.
  9. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

One prediction this week. Mississippi Stayes will either have monumental issues and barely beat Arky. Or Arky will win. I believe this game is going to prove that the game against LSU was truly on LSU. Costello will struggle to get 300 yards passing and will throw 2 bad picks. If I end up being wrong, I won’t question it again.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You are talking about R Kansas, not Alabama