How do I cook a steak without a grill?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by mobius481, Jan 21, 2013.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

So I will be in the situation of having a very nice piece of meat with no grill to cook it on. Otherwise I pretty much have a full kitchen. I'm thinking I season as I normally would and sear on the stove with olive oil and then stick it in the oven for a few minutes. Is this the correct approach? If so, what else should I keep in mind while doing this. If not, what is the better way?

2. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

I have a grill pan that Okie got me as a wedding gift last year and it is WONDEFUL! Just put it on the stove top and cook a little bit longer then on a grill and it is perfect. But without one of those, I would have no clue. I would think you would be able to put it in the oven. Now I am curious about the time though. I am going to google. Be right back.

3. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Other than maybe purshasing a cast iron stove top (reversible flat to grill) that is the way to go. I would just have a thermometor handy given it is hard for myself to judge how long to keep it in the oven after getting a nice sear.

Easiest/fastest way which some may not enjoy is cut up the meat into cubes. Use the juices from the meat, other seasonings and olive oil and just give the meat a quick sear in a skillet. This wouldn't be an option if there is a bone. Doing this way just eliminates much of the guess work.

5. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I've had them broiled in the oven with just some sea salt and cracked pepper and it was really good.

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

On another food forum I occassionally post on that is a very controversial method but there are some there who swear by it.

7. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Broil.

4:30 on each side.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

1. Broil it 3.5 minutes per side in the broiler or in a toaster/broiler oven. Broiled steak is very good. If it is a tender steak, you can cube it, marinade it, and shish-kabob it with onions and green peppers and broil it as well.

2. If you have a heavy, expensive non-stick pan you can fry it without oil at very high temps to sear it nicely on the outside without overcooking it.

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I use a cast iron skillet and cook it several minutes on each side with very high heat and some canola oil...olive oil burns at high temps.

It sears and I don't use the oven. How long it cooks depends on its thickness.

10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

This. In a pre-heated cast iron skillet if possible. Then pull it and let it rest in a bath of butter, garlic, etc. before serving.

You're welcome...

Cajun Sensation likes this.