Hoops Recruiting (2007-2008)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Nov 27, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Ok, some of you asked, and heck, now begins the slow part of the year where we wait for the bowl game and everyone's talking recruiting stuff anyway, so why not talk more hoops recruiting?! :)

So, for those of you who need the '06-'07 recap, the Tigers sign four frontcourt players, Anthony Randolph (5 star), and Quinton Thornton, D.J. Wright and Garrett Green (all 3 stars). All out of state and all (with the possible exception of D.J. Wright and "Q") sort of "summer lands" where Nikita and Butch saw and closed on 'em after the summer camps. This class will go down as the class of forwards, where all the guys beef up the frontline, but with very different styles of players. Anthony likes to play swing and is versatile enough to throw it down on the break or launch the three. "Q" is the more classic low post power forward, who's athletic and plays d. And, Garrett Green and D.J. Wright are taller guys who can shoot it and roam outside.

Rivals wraps up SEC hoops recruiting rating the SEC with the sixth best recruiting haul as a conference, with Florida ranked #1, LSU #2, and 'Bama #3 in the "down year". Of LSU's class, Randolph ranks as the "best pro prospect", and Rivals lauds Brady for their "under the radar" picks including D.J. Wright and Garrett Green. Something tells me, this is the start of some interesting trends: (1) LSU signing more players nationally after going to the FF with hometown talent, and (2) LSU trying to get away from JUST signing guys who can muscle it down low. In order to keep up with Florida (who let's face it, is going to be the Tiger's arch SEC rival for years to come) they've got to add guys who are long, but who can move up and down the court, and who can shoot.

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=612399.

As for next year, LSU's already gotten their 3 schollie target year off to a good start by getting a verbal from 7'1" James Tyler, a developing big man (4 star) from N.C. He's your cornerstone big man for years to come and he's got some interesting up side--He's no Greg Oden, so he won't be one and done (although you never know with 7'1"), but he's going to get better as time goes on. He also would then pair well with Anthony Randolph and ... 6'9-10" 230 PF GREG MONROE, who's LA's and possibly the country's best junior. Greg Monroe lists LSU, Kansas and Duke as his frontrunners, and LSU and Kansas have offered. At this point, who knows who really leads but LSU is high obviously b/c its close and Greg would fit in nicely. He's a PF that has the ability to play a little outside and inside, slashing to the basket--great athlete and a lefty. The final schollie goes then to a few different guys high on LSU, but unfortunately things hang on Monroe (wow, is that a change... out of state guys wanting to come here?). Olu Alshaolu, a 6'6" PF from Texas, who coincidentally played AAU ball with D.J. Wright, and Ray Shipman, a 6'3" athletic, slashing shooting guard from FL. Neither of these guys have offers yet and both are 4 star guys.

This becomes the year of Greg Monroe folks, but even if we don't get him, there's enough LSU recruiting momentum to have a nice little class.

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. SIX NBA LOTTERY PICKS ... AND COUNTING.

2 people like this.
  2. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

HKow may schollys will LSU have next year?

3. Adam4848

Adam4848 Founding Member

Sweet, thanks!!!

2 people like this.
  4. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

Keep me posted; Rivals has been screwing up on my computer lately.Also, we need Ray Shipman. LSU could use a good power guard to drive and dish it out to DJ Wright, Anthony Randolph, and all of the other 3pt shooters.

2 people like this.
  5. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Any one have the scoop on J'Covan Brown? Some have said he's pretty nice

2 people like this.
  6. TGer'nLHornLand

I think LSU is recruiting him and he lists LSU as one of his seven schools, but Rivals does not have LSU as a leader, rather Duke and Texas are frontrunners. Based on his highlight reel, I do think he'd be a great get if we could land him. He's more of a shooting guard with developing passing skills... but unlike Shipman who's more of a slash to the basket guy, Brown is a pull up and hit the three kind of guy. If he can really play the point, he'd be the closest thing we've ever gotten to a kid who's big (6'3") who can play the point and score. I just didn't list him high b/c it appears like he's not as high on us. Also, I wonder what the commitment from Tommy Mason-Griffin does. Remember, he's our '09 PG commitment who has already verballed, and is regarded as a fairly decent "small" PG from Houston. Mason-Griffin is a built, but fast, 5'10" kid who can penetrate and dish and may be the "pass first" version of Tack. He's started to get some recruiting pub and I'll be interested in how he develops now that he's committed to us.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

The way I see it, two for sure, due to the fact that we're assuming Big Baby's gone after this year (we signed 4 this year I think based on this), and so then next year Dameon Mason and Tack will be Seniors using up their last year of eligibility in 07-08. We're then also assuming there's noone that leaves early due to the NBA or transfers. Of the NBA possibility, the question will be whether Tasmin Mitchell or Magnum Rolle leave after their Jr years or perhaps Anthony Randolph leaves after one. As for a transfer situation, it's hard to gauge and always a possibility (although I'd wager kids like Johnson, Voogd, Farrerr like the atmosphere at LSU and aren't clamoring for spotlight time so it's unlikely). At this point, it's unlikely that these things happen, but if it happens, Brady could sign more than two.

That's the tricky part of the '07-08 recruiting scheme. They've got Tyler in the bag, and they'd like to reserve that second schollie for Monroe. But, depending on next summer and what "vibes" Monroe gives, LSU may have to have some back up options.

The '08-09 class will be a big reload year, as SIX kids would graduate, including Temple, Voogd, Martin, Johnson, Rolle, and Tas'. That will be an interesting recruiting year, especially we've already gotten the verbal from Mason-Griffin at point--with him being a relatively big name in the Houston AAU circuit, he's probably starting to help LSU recruit already for that class...

8. TGer'nLHornLand

These recruiting tidbits come to us from the Advocate:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/4797151.html

Apparently some of our '07 recruits and Tommy Mason-Griffin, are lighting it up. Including Anthony Randolph, who really could be an incredible get as we look back a few years from now, and Tommy Mason-Griffin, who recently outplayed Jai Lucas, whom we were recruiting at one point, in a local Houston show down.

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. GREG MONROE... A FUTURE LSU NBA LOTTERY PICK.

9. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I don't think Rolle is going anywhere if his play so far this season is a good representative of his ability. I can't feel optimistic about Monroe or Griffin actually honoring his commitment given the historical ability of Brady and Co. to recruit point guards.

10. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

One positive note is that LSU is averaging 8900 paid attendance through the first four games. That can only go up with the aTm and UConn matchups looming.

I wonder how many will be at Reliant for the Texas game as well. You going, TGer?