Hoops BBall Recruiting (2006-7)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Jun 17, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Ok, so it's time to start this year's thread on hoops recruiting. The Advocate starts it off for us this year with an in-depth look at Brady, Butch's and Nikita's leads going into the ever hot summer hoops recruiting season. What's amazing is more legit recruits and more out of LA recruits that might be interested in LSU. I won't declare the Final Four trip a boon to recruiting, until that first top 50 or 100 guy from OUTSIDE the LA area signs, but it's sure going to be more fun to talk bball recruiting these days...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/3101081.html

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL... PACK THE PMAC!!!

2. TGer'nLHornLand

So, Rosetta beat me to the punch... I was all set to post a very detailed recruiting analysis on how the summer AAU recruiting scene was going, but my post crashed a few times over the weekend. In any case, here's a little more from the Advocate on how summer college recruiting is going for Brady and staff...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/3267601.html?showAll=y

I'll say, that at a high level, Houston is the key--as I have mentioned before--the rise of LSU as a national college basketball power will depend on it's ability to go into Houston and Mississippi to supplement its recruiting classes. It seems that many of college's top programs' recruiting roads go through Houston these days, and no less than three (really four, if you consider Iasiah Rusher also) of our top prospects hail from the hotbed. Here's a great link to a story highlighting why... of course, Katrina had an affect. But, LSU finds itself competing with the big boys of Duke, Arizona, Kentucky, Texas, Florida, not to mention the other poser Big 12 schools. The key will be finding a way to land Jai Lucas, and then picking up some other(s) of the talented Texas bigmen, Johnson, Jordan or Rusher.

For, those that want to do the reading, here are some of the best current links:

http://www.visionsports.com/HKC/2006/PDF/HKC06Rivals.pdf
    http://kentucky.scout.com/2/516771.html?refid=400
    http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=557902
    http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1436
    http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=30308&Sport=2

To me, it's interesting that (1) LSU brings alot more respect into the Lone Star State, given that this is the first time since maybe Tack's recruitment year, that Brady has cracked into east Texas with some momentum, but (2) despite the four hour drive, it will take a great deal of effort to get there still given everyone with a top 10 college program seems to be hitting Houston hard. If we can land another "pipeline" recruit, however, and continue our success, it will be easier.

Thankfully for the Tigers, Texas has surprisingly become vulnerable with Barnes having a "defection" of players of Aldridge, Tucker and Gibson and that can't help the perception. Plus the class they just signed is great, although young. Texas A&M should be up and coming, but will never get to that truly "next level" of basketball respect. LSU plays Texas and Texas A&M this fall, so watch out--key games from a recruiting standpoint. Kelvin moves further north to Indiana, and so in the Big 12, besides Kansas, maybe Texas A&M, the Big 12 is weaker. Oklahoma St will have some struggles, and Texas Tech has lost the luster of Knight. Tubby and Billy D will continue to strike hard at the Lone Star State on the SEC's behalf, and you see where the FLA championship gives Billy that cross country reach (showing up on Jordan's list). In the end, however, I see the distance hurting the gators. You still in the end worry about Coach K at Duke, Lute in AZ and Calhoun at UConn--basketball powerhouses that have a lot of TX alumn. Tack and Shaq' need to step up the recruiting for LSU!

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. SIX TOP 5 NBA LOTTERY PICKS. PLAY IN THE PMAC!

3. TGer'nLHornLand

Nike and Adidas Camps: LSU Prospects

So, this past week began the prestigious Nike High School Summer Camp. Not only are several prospects of LSU playing, but we find Brady doing a little scouting and recruiting and Big Baby being a counselor, in front of the scouts...

This is where college hoops is done these days folks. Here's some news courtesy of Rivals...

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=559313

Jai Lucas grabs some headlines, and so does Greg Monroe, a '08 grad, whose looking closely at LSU (and Duke).

Day two, also had three potential LSU signees catching some pub, James Anderson, whose an Arkansas wing (who is shamelessly pimping himself out to every school), Maurice Miller, who defended Jai Lucas, and Chris Barnes a new big man on the scene, who also lists LSU.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=559622

I'm still loving the thought of Jai Lucas as a Tiger, and we've got to pull out all of the stops and get the fans involved with this kid. He is going to have some influence over some others...

Some of our prospects are playing at the Adidas ABCD camp instead. DeAndre Jordan, Leonard Washington and Kodi Augustus (another recent TX recruit who's listing LSU):

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=559626

DeAndre Jordan... the next Tyrus Thomas?

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. PACK THE PMAC AND BE THE NEXT TOP 5 NBA LOTTERY PICK FROM LSU.

4. TGer'nLHornLand

Other News...

Not so good news:

Gary Johnson, a 6'7" PF from Aldine Texas, committed to Texas this past week.

I kinda didn't see Johnson and Jordan going to the same school, so looks like we focus on Jordan, who is ultimately the better pro prospect.

and, as for our SEC brethren, Alabama has jumped out the gates fast with 2 top 100 commitments, and each of USC, Florida, Miss St and Georgia have one (according to Scout's lists). All early commitments are home-state commitments with the exception of Senario Hillman (GA) committing to the Bamers.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Re: Other News...

Keep us updated! I don't really know too much about basketball recruiting, but I've been told that our Final 4 appearance and other recent successes will pay off more in the future than right away. That sound true?

6. TGer'nLHornLand

Yeah, I think that since so much of basketball recruiting is done over the summer, it's not a big sports focus. But, this is the money time, where kids are playing in summer camps and coaches get good first impressions of these kids. As you can see, when kids start school in the fall, perhaps over 50-60% of the top kids will be committed.

I think LSU's going to the final four is definitely a huge thing, although I'm not sure how much "in the future" is. I'd say the first 2-3 years after going to the final four are kind of a high point, b/c the school's name is fresh on kids' minds. Those years are also key from the standpoint of what does the school do with that momentum? Does it invest in the sport to continue the good momentum, or rest on its laurels. I think of a Texas who made the final four a few years back with TJ Ford, and Barnes really parlayed that trip into locking down (somewhat) Texas as an acceptable destination for Texas recruits. Now, it's more or less a recruiting machine.

LSU still has to prove itself, especially outside of the state, as such. The final four obviously shows LSU back to being able to get there, and it's nice to see it being done under a new "regime" than the Dale Brown era. But, I think this year will be pretty important. The positive is we are on several top 150 TX hoops recruits as a nearby alternative to Texas and the "established" names of college hoops. You see that in Gary Johnson, DeAndre Jordan, Jai Lucas, Iasiah Rusher, Kodi Augustus and others considering LSU from Texas, and many more from other states who list us. This has not been the case in a long while. But, the key is landing them. If we can land a few top 100 guys from beyond the borders, I see good pipelines forming and so, down the road, we continue to have those ties. Even if we don't get those guys this year, our guys are talented enough to keep LSU in the basketball spotlight this year, so we get another shot at reloading next year. But, I'd rather not see us waste too many years before we land some top 100 guys and maybe an out of stater or two. I think that this year, we have also not gotten the early recruit out of LA, which is a little troubling (from what I read, some of the top LA guys seem to be looking elsewhere or are otherwise not as talented as some of the guys we're pursing). Focusing too much on out of staters without landing the best few guys in your state, can be a problem. But, the other problem is in hoops, kids tend to stray a lot more.

I think why it may also be a "in the future" affect is that once a school goes to the final four, it invests more. Upgrading facilities may certainly help in the future, and the final four will be touted certainly for many more years to come as LSU decides to allocate it's sports dollars. In any case, I think there's definitely positive momentum that I see for LSU, but it's too early to tell how much we've reaped from our trip to the final four.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

What I heard was because the recruitment of basketball players begins so young, that while a very recent final 4 will put us in the picture with some guys who maybe weren't considering us before, we will be coming from behind because they've been recruited for so long by other schools. And that the Final 4 appearance will mostly help us with the younger guys we are recruiting, thus we won't see the results for a little while.

8. TGer'nLHornLand

That's a good point, and probably true to some extent. I think that probably kids (with the exception of kids like Tasmin Mitchell, who was probably recruited at age 7), first get letters from schools as they get into high school. I agree that LSU being in the final four, gets our letter not thrown into the trash, as opposed to probably 5 years ago, when it was. But, I still think that LSU ca convert this final four momentum into a few signings, because they've been recruiting Jai, for example, for a while--the final four is fresh in folks minds that this program can get them there . We were probably coming on late to kids like Darrell Arthur and Scottie Reynolds, but as long as you're in the summer camps and AAU tournaments talking to kids before their junior and senior years, I think you're right there. Now, I think Butch Pierre and John Brady get alot more folks listening. That's why I think '08 may be big for us, and '07 hopefully will be too.

9. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

I would really love to see Jai Lucas in purple and gold.

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

That would mean that none of these great players have heard from LSU or weren't being recruited by LSU prior to this year, which I find hard to believe. They may not have been as interested in LSU, but LSU was likely very interested in most of them.