Hooker debate

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUgirlinTx, Jul 6, 2007.

1. LSUgirlinTx

LSUgirlinTx Is it game time yet?

I realize that this debate has layers to it. I was actually just wanting different perspectives to the scenario my friend gave me....

But, since it's gotten to a whole moral vs immoral thing:
    My views of the prostitution debate are this- I think it's immoral not because it's selling sex, but because of the sleazy disgusting underbelly of countless prostitution rings. Girls and boys are sold off to pay debts, stolen from their families and a lot of times are stripped of their virginity while they are underage. Illegal sex rings definitely exist within the US and 100% exist in other countries. I wouldn’t want any part of it based on that. How do you know the girl/boy you are with isn’t apart of these circumstances? Even if you go to Amsterdam or Vegas; how can you be sure?

Even if you go the whole 'high class" route where people make 10 grand/night and have chosen this form of employment- you are still in some way supporting an entire industry that is riddled with filth and violence against your fellow human being.

Even if you go into a "Oriental Massage" place to get a handy (just found out that's what the kids are calling it these days) where no sex is involved- how do you know the reasoning’s behind why that person is employed there?

AND if you go the whole street prostitute route- chances are you are getting someone who has been forced into this over drug abuse or other things. Would you sleep with the drunk girl at the party? Doubtful, because you wouldn’t want to take advantage, but it's perfectly okay to take advantage of a drug addicted person just because "it's her job; she knows what she's doing"?

I feel like people take more precautions over buying dolphin safe tuna or hybrid cars than they do over human rights issues.

I wouldn’t have a problem with prostitution if there wasn’t such a problem with the things I've listed above. If it's 100% someone’s choice to sell sex for a living than go right on ahead, but until there is a time when the filth of the earth are not selling unwilling people I want no part of it. Unfortunately, I doubt that there will ever be a time when it's globally 100% choice.

2. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

I bought one of them things one time. It hurt. :hihi:

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

My teenage cousin calls them 'jack shacks' :shock: :grin:

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

all this talk of slavery sure is depressing, but that won't help a feller with a pocket full of a cash and chubby that needs rubbing out.

5. USMTiger

USMTiger Founding Member

I don't see why Christians are so against prostitution, when in the Bible Jesus specifically discouraged punishment to an adulterous (possible prostitute) woman by writing the sins of the accusers in the sand, thereby implying that it is hypocritical to condemn others for their sins when you yourself commit sins as well.

By the standard Jesus set in the Bible, Christians should be the most tolerant of other peoples sinful behavior than any other group, because their supreme leader specifically said so.

Remember what Jesus said (and I paraphrase): "If it ain't your own sin, then it ain't none of your business."

Are these words meaningless to Christians? I'm a freaking atheist and think this is a good lesson to learn:

Then each went to his own house, while Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. But early in the morning he arrived again in the temple area, and all the people started coming to him, and he sat down and taught them. Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery and made her stand in the middle. They said to him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?" They said this to test him, so that they could have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and began to write on the ground with his finger. But when they continued asking him, he straightened up and said to them," Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." Again he bent down and wrote on the ground. And in response, they went away one by one, beginning with the e1ders. So he was left alone with the woman before him. Then Jesus straightened up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" She replied, "No one, sir." Then Jesus said, " Neither do I condemn you. Go, [and] from now on do not sin anymore."
    (John 8:1-11)

1 person likes this.
  6. LSUgirlinTx

Well now you know why they're illegal! :grin:

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

You could also describe the oilfield like this (trust me, I work in it) yet everyone on this board supports that in some way or another.

8. LSUgirlinTx

I'm not following.

Yea, I have to support the oil industry because I buy oil and petroleum based products. It's a requirement unless you are a recluse.

I dont have to pay for hookers.

9. USMTiger

USMTiger Founding Member

So the quote in your sig is true then. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 person likes this.
  10. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Who is opposed to prostitution in this thread and said they were Christian? Not me. Christian beliefs have not been brought up on this thread at all, yet.

Who has condemned a person? I have said prostitution is immoral, where Jesus said adultery is a sin (and I think Christians view sins as immoral acts).

I agree that forgiveness is great, and you can forgive people for their sinful behavior. That does not change the fact that the sinful behavior was wrong and immoral. So prostitution can be immoral.

Again, nobody has indicated that they are Christians in this thread. Why are you getting on Christians? Scripture has not been quoted in this thead, except by you.

"Go and from now do not sin anymore". So we are not to judge the person, but the behavior itself, in this case adultery, is sinful, therefore bad and immoral.

So, this passage does not demonstrate that there is no such thing as immoral behavior, it shows from a biblical perspective that there are sinful, or immoral actions. I believe that prostitution is one of those immoral acts, not based on any biblical passage, but because an 11 year study by two Norwegian criminologist, corroborated by psychological studies, and corroborated by the operator of a prostitute rescue mission in New Zealand (who spent 20 years in the sex business as a madam and states she has known thousands of prostitutes), all state that (virtually) all prostitutes are damaged psychologically by their actions (see post #33 on page 3 of this thread). The psychological damages cited are loss of self esteem and depression, and in 85% of observed cases the prostitutes resort to alcohol and/or drugs to dull the physical and psychological pain they endure. That is why it is immoral, IMO.