gators and a bear

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Sep 19, 2019.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

had a fun gator season filled our big tags with a couple 10.5 footers and our runt tags two good 6.5s

dad been on an archery elk hunt in Colorado on a DIY public land hunt. Hasn't had much luck on the elk as far as killing but has seen a bunch just not one he wants to use his 1 tag on since he has till the end of Sept to get it done and has passed on a few decent bulls but he did smoke a Pope and Young class black bear. over 300lbs and green skull over 20".......I had to be explained what all that meant as I know very little about bears but 18" skull is Pope and Young and it has to dry for 60 days but it should make book easily.

Attached Files:

MeauxJeaux and GiantDuckFan like this.
  2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Somebody needs to make a documentary about y'all's family. Amazing.

shane0911, MeauxJeaux, kcal and 2 others like this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It would make a good reality show.

I haven't hunted in years but I'm all for it for those who enjoy it. Still, I don't think black bears should be killed unless they become a threat to the humanity population. They are kind of cute if they're not about to eat me.

4. jvalhenson

aint to sure about all that but i can tell you the gator hunting is one heck of a rush.

far as the bear goes they are no different than any other animal and with habit loss and lack of other predators etc(notice I did not say natural predators as people are natural predators being we have been hunting animals for our entire existence and we are all naturally on this planet together we are 100% a natural predator) their numbers must be controlled just like deer or anything else or the maximum sustainability of the land will be overrun and disease will knock the numbers back down for us instead of hunting. I am sure if their numbers out there weren't very much huntable they wouldnt let folks hunt em. but that is a whole other discussion.

I have never been in the least bit jealous or envious of any animal another person has killed or caught etc. Catch a big fish good for you. Kill a giant buck heck yea congrats. and still have no feelings like that for folks I dont know or whatever but I gotta say I am a little envious of pops on the bear. I really want to kill a big one and have a rug made to put by the fireplace and he knows it so I am sure I am gonna hear about it for a while ha. But I am fine with that of course thrilled for him I just gotta find a time to go get me one too.

shane0911, KyleK and GiantDuckFan like this.
  5. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

good stuff man, pics too, like I said before, I always enjoy your posts

KyleK and kcal like this.
  6. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Yep, as far as pics go, GDF's thread and this one, are 2 of the best ones, for 2 totally different reasons.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    shane0911 and GiantDuckFan like this.
  7. jvalhenson

i'm quite partial to GDFs pics as well

KyleK and GiantDuckFan like this.