favorite grits "toppings"

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Apr 8, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

i like salt, pepper, cheese, onion, bacon, and hot sauce in mine.....what do you like in yours.....below are some good recipes with grits along with the grits "10 commandments" (although i sometimes use other toppings than what it dictates)....

Down South
    Grits

There is no such thing as a 'Grit Tree'. Southerners like to hide a smile when a Northern friend wants to know where grits grow.

Grits are coarsely ground corn or hominy cooked as a cereal or a side dish to the Southern breakfast of Eggs, Bacon or Country Ham, Red-Eye Gravy and Biscuits.

In the Deep South, grits are a staple. And now, it seems that Grits are 'Chic'. Several upscale restaurants in Atlanta have them on their elegant dinner entree menus. There's even cook books just about Grits! But no matter how fancy or 'Chic' they become, the basic Grits and Red-Eye Gravy will remain in front......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grits And Red-Eye Gravy
    Prepare Grits, according to package directions, for 6 servings. Meanwhile, cook the Country Ham in your cast iron skillet. Remove Ham and keep warm. Drain all but about 2 teaspoons of the drippings. Add about 1\2 cup of brewed coffee to hot drippings. Cook about 2 minutes, stirring all the ham flavorings left on the bottom of the pan. Take a serving of Grits and make a hole in the center. Fill to barely overflowing with some of the gravy. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grits Breakfast Casserole

This recipe can be made ahead and frozen. Freeze uncooked. Thaw in the refrigerator and cook according to baking directions. When I have a lot of weekend guests at the lake house I can pop this into the oven in the morning along with a pan of Buttermilk Biscuits ( now I know everyone knows how to make biscuits!) Pull out the homemade Georgia peach preserves and make a pot of fresh coffee.....I can smell it now....Your guests will think you've worked so hard ! Wrong....

Ingredients:

2 pounds of bulk sausage (can use a hot and a regular)
    1 cup raw grits, cooked
    2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
    5 eggs
    1&1/2 cups milk
    1/2 stick butter
    salt and pepper to taste

Brown and drain sausage and crumble in bottom of a 9x13 inch greased casserole. Cook grits according to package directions (stiff is better than runny) . Add oleo and cheese to cooked grits. Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper together and add to slightly cooled grits mixture. Pour over sausage in casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour

GARLIC CHEESE GRITS

1 cup quick-cooking grits
    1 cup shredded cheese
    1/2 cup butter
    1 tsp. garlic salt
    1 egg
    1/4 cup milk
    additional cheese

Cook grits according to package. Add cheese, butter, and garlic salt; stir until cheese and butter are melted. In a measuring cup, beat egg; add milk to measure 1/2 cup. Stir into grits. Pour into a greased 1 1/2 qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly around the edges. Sprinkle top with additional shredded cheese.

Makes 4-6 servings.

This recipe sent in by Kim from Maryland
    Approved by Southerners too!

Garlic Grits

1 cup grits - cooked usual way
    1 stick oleo
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup milk
    1 roll of garlic cheese
    Crushed corn flakes

Melt oleo and cheese in hot grits (after they are cooked).
    Add milk and beaten eggs.
    Grease casserole - put above mixture in casserole. Cover with crushed corn flakes.
    Cook at 350 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes or until set.
    Serves 6 - 8 people

TRUE GRIT
    The Ten Commandments of Grits

1.Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits
    2.Thou shalt not eat thy Grits with a spoon
    3.Thou shalt not eat Cream of Wheat and call it Grits for this is blasphemy
    4.Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors Grits
    5.Thou shalt only use Salt, Butter and Cheese as toppings for thy Grits
    6.Thou shalt not eat Instant Grits!
    7.Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits
    8.Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits
    9.Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits
    10.Thou shalt not put sugar on thy Grits either

2. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

Commandment #11: No true Southerner EVER said "Kiss my grits!"

As for toppings, if I have cooked a pork loin and have any left over, I'll cut it up into little cubes, sautee it in butter and then put that over the grits. LAWD have mercy, that's mighty fine!

Grits have indeed found their way into upscale cuisine. Many restaurants now are serving sauteed shrimp and grits, another fine combination.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

My dad always poured leftover grits into thin patties, let them firm up some, and then fried them until light brown on both sides.

A little salt and pepper and fried grits is some fine eating.