Expect even more Alabama players to hit portal

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Nah, he's very good. He'll start & likely be 1st team All-SEC, then hit the draft.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Like I said, one year

Perple likes this.
  3. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Agreed.

4. shane0911

The point is he has this year then nfl

Perple likes this.
  5. shane0911

Or less if his pussy is hurting

65Grad likes this.
  6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

A minority who happen to live under the spotlights. Unfortunately a lot of fans' attentions follow those spotlights.

Have you heard the expression "20% of the people doing 80% of the work" when someone is describing a work force? I see this a lot like that: 20% getting 80% of the attention.

We're early in this era and I've come to a few conclusions: which admittedly could be horribly wrong.

The vast majority of these transfers have to be looked at individually: are they in a better situation? So far it's rare for these guys to be grouped together. Hawaii is an outlier this season with Todd Graham (though nothing there really is a shock.) Oklahoma is as well.

You guys will see Hendon Hooker this season: Va Tech to UT. He's in a better situation and I don't see "I can be Burrow." Y'all see Drew Sanders (UA to UA) this season as well. He'd see action, though very little, backing up Will Anderson this season in Tuscaloosa. He'll start in Fayetteville. Both of these guys were looking to play football.

It's not all bad. I see more pettiness and selfishness from fans about the players entering the portal versus the same traits among those same players.

7. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

Terry There are kids who were blocked by better talent and that is why the portal was developed so they could continue at a place for a better circumstance.

The portal was not develooped so starters at one place could transfer to make more money,

In my view this will destroy college football.

Add in NIL and you have a bunch of money hungry whores going to the highest bidders and you have tampering with kids by schools with more money.

To me the cheating will multiply 10 fold and we will have turned college football into a bunch of whores playing for highest bidder and education will mean even less.

TCUTiger likes this.
  8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

@CalcoTiger while you're using a lighter shade than @mctiger I still think you're painting with too broad of a brush stroke.

As one thought, judgments are being made on the future after one season: that's no sample size for accuracy.

Secondly and more importantly, the foundation of NCAA football is so shaky right now—bringing the first point even more into play—what assumptions can be made for the future?

We know players are considering NIL opportunities making their decisions. We know players are transferring because there are better opportunities, for football, at other schools. I'm suggesting while all the focus is on the former—the minority—the majority find better football opportunities (found in playing time, etc.)

In the last week the NCAA passed a new constitution allowing for "independence" for all three divisions: each will legislate and govern their own schools/conferences.

In the last week the D1 BoD suspended activity and cases for the IARP because of the constitution changes. Infractions are on hold because they don't know how conferences will govern and legislate.

Governance is on pause and we're trying to make a judgment on the future based upon...?

What some schools are doing are with their state law (Texas) and against other state(s) laws. Why is it wrong if a guy chooses Texas based on NIL opportunities if they're better?

Don't get me wrong. Some of these stories this season aren't pretty. In spite of the stench some of them are entertaining as well. Explain how players were in tumult in Norman this past season under the Riley lead? I'd been led to believe things had "ran their course" at OU with Lincoln. But, then, we see the migration?

May 1st. We'll get a more clear picture of how this recruiting/transfer season has shaken out. There are "portal/unofficial visits" happening this weekend in Tuscaloosa.

9. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

And just like leaving for the NFL early despite information that says “don’t do that”, the borderline guys will never understand until they are no longer in football.

shane0911 and furduknfish like this.
  10. shane0911

And yet somehow someone like Cyril Grayson is playing for Tampa, the #2 for Tom Brady and never even put on a helmet at LSU. How does this happen?