Election 2020

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Tiger in NC, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I don't disagree with any of this.

In order for your theory to be right you would have to be able to demonstrate that good turnout always lead to bad governance. I agree with you that motivation is the leading factor in turnout, but I am not sure that good turnout will always equal bad governance.

2. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

satisfaction is one of many reasons for low turnout.

satisfaction can also lead to high turnout if the election will cause change.

the point is that turnout is not itself very important. russians and filipinos turn out in droves to vote for putin and duterte. still not great for their particular democracy.

3. Tiger in NC

It's exactly what he said....here let me quote it for you instead...
    people are not motivated to vote when they are happy and do not want change.

4. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

good because nobody made that claim.

my claim is the simply hoping for good turnout makes no sense. you should hope for the lowest turnout possible of your political opponents.

5. Tiger in NC

But you just said that turnout was predicated upon voter satisfaction. if that is true then turnout is a great indication of how the electorate is feeling....isn't that what you said? When there isn't good governance and the people are not happy you have a higher voter turnout. Why is that a bad thing?

6. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

again, there are many reasons there might be low turnout. frustration like nothing matters is one reason. being happy with the status quo is another.

this is beside the point. the point is that it is not necessarily useful to have high turnout. thats not the goal.

7. Tiger in NC

yes and good voter turnout is good for my side. when more people vote, more democrats get elected.

8. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

sometimes it is, other times it isnt.

its not true that higher turnout means the people are unhappy. sometimes it does, other times it doesnt.

the point is that we shouldnt hope for high turnout, but for good governance. and sometimes good governannce resutsl from lower turnout because many voters are stupid.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It's fine with me if you want to raise your mask to cover your eyes and put silly putty in your ears. You have that right. I don't need Donald Trump to tell me there is something wrong with Joe Biden's cognitive processes. If you want to make loud noises like a little kid to drown out what you don't want to hear you have that right.

If you saw somebody with no arms would you say there is nothing wrong with him just because somebody you don't like said he has no arms?

10. Tiger in NC

but that isn't what you said. you said, very clearly, and without equivocation that "people are not motivated to vote when they are happy and do not want change." you didn't say "except when..." you said what you said. now you are trying to undo it and you are lying.