Does anyone know why Watson left us?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by max, Jan 18, 2004.

1. max

max Founding Member

I imagine he wanted to play RB, and Auburn offered him a better chance at playing RB. LSU has 3 freshmen and one could redshirt this season. Auburn has two senior runners and Jacobs is changing positions. So, Watson would have a clear shot at the starting job next year. Where as, he might not see the field much because of LSU's talent.

Has anyone heard his reason?

2. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Even though the lure of playing for the national champions is great, it can also be intimidating to certain players. I think he felt he would get smothered on the depth chart and he wanted to play a position that we are set for four years...RB...

3. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I havent heard Saban say this, but some say he wanted him at DB or WR

4. max

max Founding Member

He is one of Lemmings Top 100 but the other two ratings services have him at 3 Stars. This just opens a spot for another 4 Star guy that we are looking at. He does look like a speedy athlete, though it is a shame to lose him.

Does anyone else get disappointed when a 2 Star guy commits to us? I know it is a stupid reaction, because Saban knows what he is doing more than these recruiting services. But, it severely damages our hopes for the recruiting title when we do it. I don't remember any of the two star guys that we signed recently doing much. Dyslyowski, Demps, etc. I have fun hoping for the recruiting title. Does anyone else out there have similar feelings? I know we all trust Saban's judgement.

5. DJ

DJ Founding Member

Remember that Travis Daniels was a Rivals 2-star. Travis is right up there with Corey Webster in terms of being a lock down cover corner, and both of them played lights out in the Sugar Bowl. They were #2 and #4 nationally in passes defensed. No other team had two DB's on that list.

While nobody is perfect when it comes to projecting how a high school player will do in college, I'll trust Saban and his staff over the recruiting gurus. They do not lightly hand out scholarship offers, since they are keenly aware that there are more quality athletes who want schollies than we have.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

These star ratings are subjective based on who the rater has seen. Nick is our rater and he always gets good players. I doubt that he gives a shit about "the recruiting title". I sure don't. Any of the teams with top 10 classes are going to be loaded.

7. b L e S e U r

b L e S e U r Founding Member

with the unproven adrian P rumors, maybe this is a sign that they(the rumors) are legit.....if watson found out peterson was coming,( which i doubt ), for sure watson would leave.....just a thought...........

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Watson's decision had nothing to do with Peterson. It was because of the depth already in place, and because LSU intended to redshirt him (Tubby said he'd get a chance to play as a true freshman).

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

hopefully you never hear Nick talk about a recruit as it is against the rule to say anything at all.