Black pots & McWare (Magnalite) pots

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUTiga, Feb 3, 2008.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Shane0911 mentioned wanting Magnalite pots so I thought I’d share this. Red came to mind with his back-packing excursions and I know gradin likes to camp- you and others may like this.

Guillory Wholesale in Mamou carries ALL kinds of good chit as far as pots go. Even the cast iron (black pots). I brought my uncle the other day and we asked if some of the pots were used and they told us they “Season” some for folks who don’t want to go through the mess. I asked how much more they charge for a “Seasoned” one and she told me $3.00. :shock: I told her they could EASILY get $10.00 more.

I’ve heard all kinds of ways to season them. Once I tried one way that was recommended and it was a joke. Had bought a black iron skillet and a friend told me to fill it with grease, heat on a butane burner (Outside) and let it heat till it caught fire and burned. I liked to NEVER finish removing the dam burned grease caked on the pot.

Another time, I oiled one and put in high heat in oven. Repeated process. Maybe red, SabanFan or some of our veteran cooks could share a better way, I’d love to hear. I won’t buy one not seasoned as long as that place sells them already conditioned- providing I’d need another cause I have three different sized skillets and pots. I seldom use the pots anymore except to cook fish on a wood fire.

The guy’s name is Mike McGee; hence, the “Mac” on McWare. He went to China and not sure what all else he had to do to get the Magnalite prototype to design one the same. When Magnalite went under, they couldn’t understand why so many were sold in Southern La. and not elsewhere- it was what/how we cooked that made for a strong market here- so I was told.

Someone told me recently that Magnalite was back in the business too though, not sure.

Here’s a link:
    http://www.cajunclassiccastiron.com/

11 inch Roaster:
    [​IMG]

Here’s the “MW” on the handle:

[​IMG]

If you click on the link and look at the drop downs in the left margin you'll see “Camp” pots. They have many "Black pots", even some with legs. Notice the lip on the lid...it’s to put coals on top so it cooks even better- heats from the top, too.

1 person likes this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Tiga, thanks. I should be back in Louisiana soon and I will check it out. As for seasoning a pot. I've put them in the over with a good coat of oil on them, it sort of worked. I have also coated them in oil and just tossed them into a camp fire, also worked half a$$ed. The later will cost you some time cleaning ashes off of the pot and will also cause it to rust a lot faster if you don't keep it oiled. I think the best way is to just cook in them as often as you can. Clean with a mild soap and oil before putting it away unitl the next use. I mainly use my black irons for stew, chilli, or to make a rice and gravy type meal. I did some research after you mentioned magnalite being back in business and it appears they are. Here is a link I found but want to check prices with your pal in mamou first. If it's resonable I will keep my business in La vs sending it elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
  3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

LINK IS BROKE!

4. shane0911

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Shane, I bought my last Magnalite in a set and you can see it's WAY cheaper than buying them individually. If you go wit Magnalite, I'd call some Wal Mart stores to find them- the article said they don't all have them. I'll check the ones around here and let you know if they still have them.

Oh, and the guy in Mamou isn't anything of any significance to me, buy where you get the best deal- always. :wink:

I'll go edit the initial post, the link was the wrong one. I'll post it here too. You don't need an account, just click on login. I didn't see the prices though, I don't like when businesses don't post prices with product- unless I missed it.

http://www.cajunclassiccastiron.com/

6. CajunlostinCali

Check em on ebay. Should be able to find some classic pieces there.

7. shane0911

Cali, I just googled magnalite and it came back with a link to world kitchen. If you click on that then it will have link on buying the pots. It showed a 13 pc set for 270 which included just about everything you would need. It had the big roaster, the med size pot for gumbo, the smaller ones for veggies nice set and I'd probably pay that I just want to see if the guy in mamou is comparable, if so I will buy from him.

8. CajunlostinCali

Thats a great price. Something to consider. What was the shipping?

9. shane0911

Didn't get that far, just took a look at the set and price. I'll check it out though.

10. shane0911

Okay, had to register, but shipping from wherever they are to Oklahoma City is 10 bucks. Not bad at all.