Biden administration openly admits it does not support Taiwan independence

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by fanatic, Aug 1, 2022.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Biden and the left have turned us into the biggest fucking pussies in history. Proof positive that we will not defend Taiwan when China invades. We project such weakness that they should do it tomorrow.

2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Actually that has been the official position of the United States since 1948. Both republicans and democrats hold this position. Since Chang Kai Shek fled to Taiwan both the Nationalists (Taiwan) and communists say there is only one China. We defend Taiwan’s right to decide it’s future. Taiwan doesn’t have a place in the UN, there isn’t an Embassy in Washington etc.
    As crappy as Biden is he can’t be blamed…..unless he doesn’t back Taiwan if the Reds invade.

3. fanatic

Be that as it may, I've never heard any administration except this one actively say that they do not support Taiwanese independence. Its extremely poor optics and just re-enforces that Biden is weak and kowtows to China.

4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Then you haven’t be paying attention. Every administration since Nixon has said that.

5. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

winston is correct, we have said this many times, and our position is that we will not accept any regime change via anything other than peaceful means.

we dont favor independence, we dont favor china taking over, we dont favor or really oppose anything except violent regime change. i would prefer that if a politician says we dont favor independence, he also notes that we dont oppose it. we favor taiwan self-determination, whatever that means. nothing has changed here, we have been very specifically and purposefully ambiguous about this forever.

the six assurances that guide taiwan policy have been in effect forever:

1. The United States would not set a date for termination of arms sales to Taiwan;
    2. The United States would not alter the terms of the Taiwan Relations Act;
    3. The United States would not consult with China in advance before making decisions about United States arms sales to Taiwan;
    4. The United States would not mediate between Taiwan and China;
    5. The United States would not alter its position about the sovereignty of Taiwan which was, that the question was one to be decided peacefully by the Chinese themselves, and would not pressure Taiwan to enter into negotiations with China; and
    6. The United States would not formally recognize Chinese sovereignty over Taiwan

i bolded number, 5 as its the most relevant one. the official policy of the US is that any violent regime change is dangerous to the US and the world and we arent having it.

Winston1 likes this.
  6. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Nuance, complexities, history.... things someone like you doesn't have the brainpower for.

Biden has already declared that the USA would defend Taiwan militarily if attacked.

7. fanatic

Saying we support the 'One China' policy or having 'no position' on Taiwanese sovereignty is vastly different then outright saying you don't support Taiwan independence are 2 very different things, IMO. Show me where other administrations have said this.

Exactly my point about poor optics and Biden appearing weak; especially in today's climate when tensions are pretty high.

I get it. Using words like 'acknowledge' versus 'recognize' is by design. However. saying 'this administration does not support Taiwan independence' is definitely specific, but there's not much ambiguity there.

8. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

9. fanatic

Must have flown under the radar. I admit, I was not as politically conscious back then as I am now.

10. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

when US govt speaks on taiwan it is often so vague as to be misleading. they mean to imply nothing they havent said.

not supporting doesnt mean opposing. and they do support independence if the tainwanese do it through peaceful declaration, which they wont in the foreseeable future. and even then they are not supporting the independence itself as much as the self determination.

Winston1 likes this.