Be honest.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tigerskin, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Tigerskin

Tigerskin Founding Member

Didn't you have a bad feeling about this one most of the second half? I was pulling for LSU like hell but I have seen too many games like this one. One team lets the other one just hang around and the other team only needs one score to barely win. Any Saints fans around?

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

If you look at the game thread, I said the same thing during the game!

3. badbrad8504

badbrad8504 Founding Member

I was thinking that AU would miss the PAT on their TD, but I had a gut feeling that the last drive for them would be successful. Our defense was flat.

4. bubbafong

bubbafong Founding Member

Our D just isn't what it was last year. They ran all over us today, and we all knew that if we couldn't stop their run, they'd win. That's their game. Our D needs to step up, and our O line as well. Overall we didn't suck, but we just didn't do enough against a good team. And I have to give credit to Campbell. Boy looked pretty good today.

I was impressed with Randall. No one wants to give him the credit he deserves, but he's looked pretty darn good the last 2 games, and he drove for our only TD today. I'm not convinced that some of Russell's drives could have been kept alive if Randall had been in and able to scramble. Russell's inability to run got us in trouble several times. And Broussard needs to play more. What's up with that? Boy is a tank AND he's fast. Why is he not playing more?

Okay, I'll shut up now.

5. TigerFan90

TigerFan90 Too far away from home

No, actually I didn't. I was confident in the D, but I was curious to see how the O would respond. I wouldn't say that I felt it or anticipated a loss. I think I was more interested in reviewing the team and the offensive performance in particular. I am now resigned to the fact that LSU probably will not be defending its NC this year, but that's ok. The future is bright. Can't expect to win it every year. The Program is in very good shape and that is what is important. The SEC is tough. That's what makes most of our schools some of the best in college football! :thumb:

About Randall, I am not here to smear anyone, but the guy has real problems passing the ball. He has trouble hitting the wide-open receiver. He gets a little nervous in the pocket. He is inexperienced, frankly, and it shows. JR is inexperienced as well, and it shows too, but Marcus will be gone next year, JR won't. :)

6. Mis'sippi Tigah

Mis'sippi Tigah South End Zone Bleachers

Spent the entire game talking about how big that missed PAT was on the opening drive of the game.

7. bubbafong

So YOU'RE the one who cursed us!

(just kidding)

8. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

I do think he believes that, and that is why I am such a huge supporter of him. I was at LSU for the "passing stats" years, back when passing stats were all the fans really cared about. I like the fact that Saban has built this program to be more than just passing, that we play to win games. I like that he wants to slow the game down and control the ball. His system works, you just can't win them all. And like after last year's loss to FL, I feel this team can bounce back and focus on the rest of the season one step at a time. I don't even think we will fall that far in the rankings, not that it will matter to the team or coaching staff.

Of course it is all subjective. It's why they don't play D and pass all day in the PAC 10, they run a lot in the Big10, and play tough ball in the Big 12. No one plays perfect football, you just hope your system is good enough to win more than you lose.

For me it is a thing I grew up with. I went to HS that won a ton of games, threw the ball twice a game, and won through defense. That doesn't mean I'm right and your wrong, it just depends on what you trust and enjoy watching.

9. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

I understand what you mean, I just think this season the other teams have better game plans to use against our offense. They are all gunning to beat us, and we will see their best effort. Add to that the loss of a great game manager like Mauck, and you are bound to have bad games.

I'd like to see the LSU O become more explosive, I'm not that old to think we need to run the wishbone or anything, but we managed the game well today until the end. AU gutted out that last score, and we made a mistake moving down the field on that last drive. It was a close hard loss, and all the team can do is start focusing on MissSt.

Our O will come around, and things will start working out . . . it's just taking a while for these younger players to get it. They will, and once that happens the offense will open up more and our running game will probably see easier defenses.

10. bubbafong

Right, he can't hit the broad side of a barn. Oh, well except for those nice passes into tight coverage tonight and last week. But let's not acknowledge those, cuz all we've been wetting ourselves over the hype surrounding Russell for the last year. Yeah, he had a nice first drive, and scored a TD, which is more than Russell did. But he has no business being a quarterback. Oh, and I'm on Earth, the planet you're hovering over. Stop smoking the crack, and you'll come back down to reality. Randall has played relatively well the last two games.

Yes, our special teams needs some work, but a lot of our poor field position was because our D allowed them to drive down the field, mostly running, and get into our territory before stopping them. Then they would pooch punt and tie us deep. Were you watching the game? Or were you too busy crying over the fact that Russell didn't look good, and Randall scored the only TD?

Again, the crack has gotten to you. Our D is really good, but it's hasn't been nearly as good as last year. We shut down their running game last year. Or did you see that game? Defense can win games, and had we had last year's D out there today, we would've won. It's only the 3rd game of the season, and I know we'll improve, as we did last year. But at this point we do NOT have the best D in the country. Several of our key players have not played up to par, including Webster, and our D line hasn't been as dominating has it needs to be. I don't know what game you were watching today, but our team in general, including our defense, needs some work.

And Randall played pretty well.