Arkansas (17-10) @ LSU (16-9)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger_fan, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Glenn Guilbeau: LSU
    should've hired Jones a
    long time ago
    Shreveport Times - 2
    days ago

The Tigers won their sixth game of eight and
    improved to 16-9 and 7-7 in the SEC. Few
    thought they would have 16 or 7 at this
    point, and the Tigers have four regular
    season games left. LSU has a decent shot of
    finishing 18-11 and 9-9, which should
    warrant Jones SEC Coach of the Year
    mention.
    Apparently, the Hustlers are back.
    Jones' team plays a lot like most of Brown's
    teams โ€” fast and high scoring with hustle
    and opportunistic defenses that tend to
    "freak" opponents. It's fun to watch, and
    people are gradually returning to the
    Assembly Center. There were 8,200 โ€” a
    good crowd this century โ€” on a beautiful
    Saturday with LSU coming off a loss,
    below .500 in the SEC ...
    Jones knows how to recruit like his mentor,
    too. He has three highly recruited prospects
    joining the program next year, including
    McDonald's All-American forward Jarell
    Martin. His first...recruiting class
    may produce as many quality players as his
    predecessor could in four years. And unlike
    that predecessor's predecessor, Jones had
    to leave a 50-mile radius of his house to get
    them.
    (Dale) Brown...has been saying for years to hire Jones. And he was right.
    Considering the start Jones has had, there is
    no telling how far along LSU's basketball
    program might be now had he been hired in
    2008. March Madness might just be a routine
    condition "ยป as it was when it was Brown's
    court.

2. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

There were:
    456 replies to the just the "LSU vs North Texas Game Discussion" thread on here alone, not to mention all the other threads discussing that game

North freaking Texas. North Texas.

Oh, and guess what? North Texas is where we hired Jones from after five-straight 20-win seasons and two NCAA Tournament appearances

(this is old news, but...)

North Texas averaged just five wins per
    seasons in the four years prior to (Jones') arrival.
    Under Jones, the Mean Green has averaged
    21 wins per year over the last six seasons,
    including a school record 24 wins in 2010
    and a pair of Sun Belt Conference titles and
    NCAA Tournament trips.
    Jones has won more games than any other
    Sun Belt coach over the last six years ...Jones is
    responsible for... a 121 percent attendance
    increase over his tenure.

Etc etc

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I'm going to try to make a game this season if I can; we've had a pretty good run lately.

4. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Considering that last night was the second-to-last home game, with the last one being Mar 9, i think it's it is safe to say that your streak of being in constant contention for the dumbest poster in Tiger Nation is still intact. Congrats

cwatsn likes this.
  5. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Now you guys are seeing what I was posting about in the general basketball discussion thread. Couldn't join you guys on this thread last night, because I was actually playing basketball ... but glad to see the Tigers win, and well, what can you say, rarely has LSU been up so much and had to protect a lead that maybe that is the silver lining in all of this from last night.

Good points made above about Mike Anderson. He's actually someone that I thought LSU should have gone after when they hired Trent. Surprisingly, he hasn't set the world on fire at Arkansas, but there's some transition that's to be expected. Give him a few years to recruit his guys, and let's see. I will say, however, that given the Arkansas arena and fanbase for basketball, I'm surprised Mike hasn't recruited as well as he should be. He let a few pretty good Arkansas home grown kids leave for other pastures, and he's playing a LA guy, Qualls, that LSU didn't recruit very hard. The name of the game is recruiting, especially if you want to run an uptempo game where thoroughbreds are needed. Will be interesting to watch them in the next few years, though, and don't count them out.

Needless to say though, LSU needed the win to catch up to Arkansas who was ahead of them. And, glad LSU won.

By the way, you talk about the support (which I'd also contend is also waning on this site as opposed to other sites)? only 7800 in attendance last night at PMAC. LESS than for 'Bama and MSU despite having a consistent team with something to play for. Granted it was a weekday game.... sheesh.

Let's see what Ole Miss brings out.

6. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Student attendance looked pretty good compared to the pay seats, though nobody was in the upper bowl.

Attendance is going to be a multi-season project, that's just reality for the reasons outlined in your thread. Also remember that Trent's first team made a big splash, too, and followed up with very little. This is going to take time.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

good job. seems like theyve turned a corner and are pretty consistent. next hurdle is to beat decent teams on the road.

i cant believe im saying this, but with the emergence of carmouche, the team has a shot at the SEC tournament, if UF is still hobbled.

but can they get a top 4 seed to get 2 byes? looking at the schedules its highly unlikely. since lsu plays OM and Mizz its possible to pass them, but they need to pass UT as well, but they have a super easy remaining sched. tigers need to pray to get in the other side of the bracket from UF. man, those horrible losses to Auburn and USC hurt.

8. lsu-i-like

Harsh bro. I can't apologize for being extremely busy in real life; I haven't been able to keep up with sports as much as I'd like. Maybe I can make the 9th - you were unintentionally helpful, transcendent one. We can't all be as awesome as you, as exhibited by your douche-bag post.

9. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

It was definitely a d-bag post on my part, and it made me feel bad all day Thurs that i said that to you. I had too much too drink wed night. I was mad because you seem to feel no shame for your incessant d-bag posts directed toward trashing LSU

ROY_LA_CA likes this.
  10. lsu-i-like

If I am disagreeable, it is because I believe it. I don't hate intellectually convincing arguments, but I'm not going to step in line if I can't convince myself it is the right thing to do - maybe I'm slow to understand, and if so I apologize. I thought that I've agreed with posts of yours in the past, and it seems like I've found your posts to be on a higher level than most; maybe I got you confused with some other mother-lover.

Also, maybe it don't show but I do love LSU. I feel like I'm a self-reflecting, open-minded guy, but I like to argue which might be my inter-personal problem. Anyway, was all up on the new and improved campus today. I think they had some kind of concert going in the parking lot next to that building formerly known as CEBA. I believe there was even a sporting event on campus today (heard we won, and I was glad even though I don't care for baseball).