Another dozen

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Sep 12, 2015.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Been on the porch all day watchin football and pickin off the few doves still comin in. Real slow but I've gotten another dozen. Missed out on a few others as I wasn't really huntin just watchin football and gettin the ones I see coming in time

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I aint buying that "Slow" and "few" coming. This has gone on too long not to be baited. ;)

Bengal B likes this.
  3. jvalhenson

Def not baited. Just brown top millet. And small patch at that like I've said only about 50x20 yards. But it's about the only game in town for him. No one has cows or farms much around here anymore and as far as I know I'm the only one that still plants for doves. Most of the old fields have been sold off or have been ignored so are way to overgrown now. So I don't need to bait they really don't have to much other choice on where to go. Plus I'm a legal beagel anyways not bc I'm overly worried about the law part of it but I ain't gettin no damn fine to have to pay. but it has been slow. I've literally been out here all day from daylight to still sittin here now only stopped for a 30 min run and to grill some snapper for lunch. Got those 12 and had maybe that many more fly by that I didn't see in time to get up and get to gun so 20-25ish is all that's come through all day and some of those were likely repeats.
    I think I'm gonna give em a little more diversity for next year and pant this same millet patch and do one next to it bout twice as big of sunflowers. I say I'm gonna do it every year and never do good bit more work and money involved with the sunflowers. Plus I don't know how many more I can draw in don't get a lot of migraters here anymore since there not any food in the area any more so all I really get is first season resident birds. But in the days shot have gotten 127 so not bad for a 50lb sack of millet and 100lbs of 13-13-13. 1 day left so hoping to get a few more tomorrow.

4. jvalhenson

This is all I plant. Standing at one end so that's the whole thing. Don't even put the hopper on the tractor just use hand spreader. Doesn't seem like it lookin at it when it's standing but that stuff make a pile of seed. The bare ground you can see walkin on it the seeds are gone but if you kick over the piles of grass it's still full of seed underneath so there's still a pile of seed out there hopefully get more in here for 2nd season plus I've got 2 big patches of it still standing that came up volunteer from last year when I planted more.
    [​IMG]

LSUTiga likes this.