A Needed Win, Happy For Team, Still Some Work To Do

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CalcoTiger, Sep 18, 2022.

1. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I was worried in first half as there were alot of same issues seen in previous games.

But as the game went on the defense played lights out and that was very encouraging against a good offensive team.

Why cant we use good judgement on our punt return decisions.

I am a little concerned with our qb running so much when the play starts to break down. We have to pick up receivers faster. We cant throw deep at all. He will get hurt eventually if he keeps taking that many chances. His speed does help him though.

Overall it was a good win and alot of improvement on defense.

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

This! You beat me to it, damn near word for word

I’m afraid he sometimes runs even before the play fully develops, much less when it starts to break down. From my observations a “dual threat quarterback" will win some exciting games, but over the long term, not so much.

I’d be panicked if upcoming defense rushed six, had a “spy” assigned to JD, and dropped four. The inaccuracies of his short passes would be problematic.

He’s played well, and deserves credit, but I don’t think this style of play is sustainable over the course of the season. Geaux Tigers!

LSUpride123 and CaryLab like this.
  3. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

I saw something I’ve never seen before on defense. Miss st. would have 3 guys split to the side. We would line up two guys to cover. Our 3rd guy would be more to the middle. Depending on run or pass, the 3rd guy would go towards the LOS or go cover the 3rd wide out. It worked all night……
    Coaching…

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Daniels misses a lot of open guys and/or sees them and can’t commit.

He doesn’t seem that good throwing to his left for whatever reason

In anycase, he fights and doesn’t give up and the coaches seem to all make adjustments minus the special teams coach, who should be fired immediately.

Solid effort overall and things to build on

TBTrumpet and mancha like this.
  5. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

I also noticed the problems that Daniels had throwing to the left sideline.

6. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

agree. The TD that Daniels ran in from the 3 yrd line had a wide open Boutte at the top of the screen due to a pick play. I just don't think it is a good thing to have your QB with the highest running yards each game. Later in the season when those yards aren't there then what will happen?

LSUpride123 likes this.
  7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Funny, I just said the opposite in the game thread, his deep ball is ok, its the short passes that eat his lunch

8. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

My two cents...

I was mad as hell throughout the 1st half. JD was JJ all over again... Held the ball too long, wouldn't hit wide open receivers, if he even saw them for that matter, and always wanted to take off running. He's got talent like that but he will get himself killed if he doesn't know how to get the defense to back up and respect the possibility of a pass..

Second half was a completely different team. Though JD still did much of the same, he also was able to get into a rhythm and get the ball out when it was needed. When that started happening, MS. State looked like they were all of a sudden confused on D... Mind you, this is their experienced returning veteran D starters vs. a very young (and re-arranged) offensive line. Good team or not, it's not easy for a bunch of young guys to beat a bunch of veterans in the trenches, but LSU did just that.

Defense I have absolutely no quarrel with this week. They played lights out and with purpose the whole game. They looked ready and confident, and they were able to keep State's offense off balance and/or pedaling backward. They looked like they believed and that they weren't going to let State push them around in their house.

Special teams needs work, but showed some flashes at times and made a few good plays.

Overall I feel like we're at a level one would realistically think we would be. I know we all have high expectations of our beloved team, but in reality it will take a season or two for this program to come together. If anyone here expected we would win 9-10 in the first year with Kelly as coach is just delusional. As long as there are improvements, even small ones, where they are needed I'm good with that. At least we know they're not just sticking their heads in the sand and hoping it will get better. They actually appear to be working on the (bad) things we see each week. I will remain skeptical of JD, only because running QB's have not really worked out for us much recently. If he can calm down and find his groove, he can be dangerous.

Herb and LSUpride123 like this.
  9. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

Kick coverage and punt returner suck!

Swerved and LSUpride123 like this.
  10. Herb

Herb Founding Member

We're also 2 points away from being 3-0. Two freaking points.
    And...we're 3 games into a complete overhaul. That is WAY too early to make any kind of definitive evaluation.

I'm on the same page with your thoughts. This was a solid win for LSU against a Mississippi State team that is better than it has been in a decade.
    The defense looked pretty good, I just wished we still had Dwight McGlothern in our defensive backfield. Offense will be a work in progress for a bit, but I like that ALL of our O Linemen are getting meaningful playing time/experience...that investment will benefit us during the meat of our schedule.

Swerved and kcal like this.