4th and 1.... should we go for it?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Robidoux87, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

YES! The answer is always yes. Whether you want to score points, run some clock or just keep it away from the other team. You always go, unless you're on your own 20-yard line.

Coaches can be such wimps sometimes. Trust your team to get a damn yard.

I am so happy today. Raise a glass to Coach O.

2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Well, I was going to create a separate thread entitled “So proud of OUR TIGERS!!!”, but I’ll just tag on to this one.

Like probably most of us, I really did not know what to expect from our Tigers yesterday, but they surpassed any wild conceivable imagination I could have had! So proud today! The proudest I’ve been in years! And I’m just enjoying watching this team again! 6-1, beating 3 ranked teams, and esp. UGA @#2 and in last year’s NC CG! Wow! Just wow! Lots of exclamations!

It was surprising and unfortunate that the tone of the board became so negative after that great win yesterday, but I’ll tell you all of those posters, positive and negative, we’re just demonstrating their Tiger passion, just in different ways. Some people have rhetoric that, while intended to be supportive, can be frustrating and put some on the defensive. Others, who are equally great fans, then retaliate, and then there is the bunch that are what ifs.....what if we scored moreTDs in RZ, than FGs. Well, to all I say, it’s a great day to be a Tiger fan, and kudos to Oeaux for having the guts to bring in Jeaux Burreaux, Coleaux Tracy, and for having confidence in them at the right times, whether kicking a FG, or going for it on 4th down!!!

KyleK, kcal, fanatic and 10 others like this.
  3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Negative in the game thread?

Because I don't see any negativity anywhere else.

4. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

I was extactic at the aggressiveness. Leave it all out there and we did just that. And won by 20! Damn proud of this team. Coach O recognizes we’re a blue collar team, we embraced it and played to our strengths.

Bengal B likes this.
  5. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yes, in the game thread esp after game ended.

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Really? A lot of things should be factors in the decision, e.g., score, field position, time remaining, etc.

didit and Bengal B like this.
  7. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Gotta be ready with some fake sneaks... Pop pass or speed option...

8. Robidoux87

I can think of a few very specific scenarios where I would send a FG kicker out. None of them apply in the first three quarters (unless time is running out in the half).

I believe that no team should ever punt the ball on 4th and 1 if it has possession beyond its own 40.

shane0911 likes this.
  9. Robidoux87

Not that anyone asked, but I also believe that if a team scores a TD to take a 7 point lead late in the game, they should go for two to try and make it 9 and put the game out of reach.

lsu-i-like and shane0911 like this.
  10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

There are some here that feel that O's team is beyond criticism. Read it however you want but never go full Taint.