You're the Saints GM; Make your first round pick

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Apr 24, 2009.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I trade down to #20 with the Detroit Lions and get their first pick in the 3rd round.

Chris Wells will still be there at #20.

Chris Wells is as near a clone to Deuce McCallister as you will find. He is what the Saints need THIS year in order to make that push to the Super Bowl THIS year.

I love Malcolm Jenkins and he will be a pro-bowler at some point in his career, but the Saints can't wait for 3-4 years for him to develop while struggling at the running back position.

2. qball316

qball316 Founding Member

You're exactly right about Wells, he is a clone to Deuce. Problem is, Deuce was always hurt the last few years. With Duece always hurt and Reggie being inconsistent, I don't want to spend and early pick like that on Wells. I agree about trading down, but if they will trade down to like 20. I would think Vontae Davis would still be there, even though he may be a bit of an ego problem.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

i take brian cushing, linebacker out of USC, unless Malcolm Jenkins is on the board still, and move Jenkins to safety. If these 2 arent available, i trade down hopefully somewhere to around 19th or 20th and take Sean Smith CB/S out of Utah. I damn sure wouldnt take a skill position player in the first round.

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I like this approach, with Jenkins still being my favorite. I'm not taking a RB; I think Pierre Thomas has earned the chance to prove he can be The Man, and not just the fill-in while we wait for Deuce to come back. If Thomas combined with Heath Evans can give us the inside punch we're looking for, Bush can go back to his hybrid role. Even if this approach isn't a runaway success, I don't see it being a disaster either, unless someone gets hurt.

5. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I tend to agree with Islstl about Wells, or at least an RB (Moreno) as our first pick. But, you do make good points about the RB position. I personally do not think PThomas is THE answer, but combined with HEvans, maybe, or perhaps draft another RB later, or try to pick up a veteran later. If they opt for RB later round or veteran, then I would pick MJenkins if available, otherwise trade down and get Wells anyway or an LB.

6. gotboost?

gotboost? Founding Member

Totally agree

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

The problem with Wells that I've read is that there are questions about his motivation. People have questioned his ability to self-start, for lack of a better word, not to mention his toughness. Doesn't play through the nicks and pains as well as you'd like to see. Sorry I can't give you a link; I don't remember where I read this. But the conclusion drawn (it was a comparison to Moreno) is that Knowshon has Beanie beat in all of the intangibles.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

see i just dont believe in drafting running backs in the first 2 rounds anymore, unless there is an adrian peterson out there.
    Also paying that much money for a player that has a average shelf life of 5 years is just not the way to go. A team needs at least 3 running backs to play every game, so why not get solid performers in the later rounds.
    I have never been sold on Beanie Wells, he put up great stats against inferior teams like Kent State, and we all know that the Big 10's defenses are a freakin joke, but he has no speed, and really dosent have the great vision you would want a first or second round running back to have.

9. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

I totally agree! You can invite a PJ Hill from Wisconsin or draft late Marcus Thigpen from IU or James Davis from Clemson. As far as who I'd draft, CB needs say Vonte Davis, Ill. As a 'sleeper' its Micheal Johnson GT.

10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Unless Chris Wells can play LBer or safety, he won't make a difference on the Saints. They don't need any help moving the chains. They need help stopping the other team from moving theirs. Payton didn't use a RB like McAllister when he had him, so I doubt that changing the name of the player will make a difference. The Saints have only one pick on the first day unless they trade down and they need it to draft a defensive difference-make in the woirst way.

Anyone out there think that the Steelers need to draft a defensive player?