Your Tax Dollars

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by ElvisFan, Aug 19, 2004.

1. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Founding Member

2. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

But he will make life so much better for the "poor". You know, the crack-heads, the alcoholics, the out of wedlock baby factories, all those people who refuse to get a job. All those needy people that Bruce Springstein and Ben Affleck are so worried about. I know there are people who are really poor and need help, but here are a few interesting bits of information about being "poor in America" the Democrats don't tell you about.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Welfare/bg1713.cfm

The following are facts about persons defined as "poor" by the Census Bureau, taken from various government reports:

Forty-six percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

Seventy-six percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, 30 years ago, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.

The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 30 percent own two or more cars.

Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.

Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.

Seventy-three percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and a third have an automatic dishwasher.

3. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

Marc, You know better than to say only drug addicts, alcoholics and single parents are poor.
    "you know"

This is ridiculous.

4. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

I did say that if you had read a little further. I was making the point that the "poor" in America in general are much better off than the poor anywhere else in the world. And if you take out the "poor" who are poor by their own actions from published poverty figures, things aren't nearly as bad as the Democrats would lead you to believe. It's called sarcasm. You of all people should know.

5. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

Do you have any black friends?

6. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

Several. Are you trying to say all blacks fall into the categories I just described? Because the ones I know don't. Some are fairly well off, others aren't rich by any means but work and are able to pay their bills, just like me and a lot more white people. Where did you pull the race card from this anyway. Anytime someone makes this argument they are immediately accused of racism. I guess there is no argument against the truth, so the only defense is to throw out racist accusations. That is what you are getting at, right?