Young's Steakhouse - Mandeville

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by KyleK, Aug 9, 2010.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Have you eaten there? Review?

2. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

Seems to be mixed reviews.

[​IMG]
    User Rating: 1 out of 5 stars by out raged

12/21/2009
    The place is nothing to talk about, I have seen
    restaurants in Slidell, much better, the food was not the best
    for what you had to pay. The service was just as good as any
    other restaurant. Youngs, in my words is well over rated and
    not things Special about it. I had the Crab Cakes the
    amount was nice, but, they were dry in the inside and
    passed the point of being golden brown.on the outside.
    User Rating: 5 out of 5 stars by Gatorbelly Hunter

08/29/2009
    I am Big Ten. I feel priveledged to have been seated here in this steak house. I wasn't wearing a tie or jacket but felt like I should have been. My Girl loved it and let me know. the food was served just right and at just the right time. professional. A treasure chest
    [​IMG]
    User Rating: 2 out of 5 stars by local resident

05/23/2009
    We went on Mother's day, and the service was good. But the steaks were not memorable. I don't think the beef is aged, and the grade can't be "prime". I can't understand how this is Northshore"s best.
    However the appetizers were great (stuffed mushrooms or crabcakes)

Lovely
    by kate zimmerman (62 reviews)
    August 26, 2009 - Likes it So my husband took my here on a date a month or so ago, and I never even knew this place existed. Its tucked away in a gorgeous verdant niche complete with a stone driveway. It was very charming and then when I walked in, it took my breath away. It was absolutely beautiful on the inside as well. It had an appeal that you do not get around here very often. Very classy and romantic. Great to woe your loves on the first date! We were seated, although the wait was a little extensive, I allowed the to slide since I was so taken with the warm bubbly atmosphere, but once we were seated our server was attentive and well mannered and completely brilliant. He was friendly and courteous and kept my husbands rum and coke full. He even suggested a delicious blended wine that would compliment the flavors of the dinner we ordered. I was so excited to see the meal itself. First came our appetizer which consisted of pan seared scallops and crab cakes. They were both incredibly delicious, I wanted to almost lick the plate, but I figured it wouldn't be very lady like and the other guests might not appreciate it. Second, a wonderful salad that was actually cool and crisp and not over dressing-ed, then came our entrees. I ordered the filet mignon and baked potato and my husband ordered Veal chops. The presentation was admirable and my steak nearly melted in my mouth. It was juicy, and I could nearly cut it with my fork. The potatos were smothered in butter and cheese and tasted positively heavenly. My husband even commented that the Veal was the best veal he had ever eaten. Completely satisfied with my dining experience at this wonderful little spot. It drips with decadence and is surely a place to try and eat at often! I know I will be back, hungry for more!
    2 people recommend this review Recommend | Not helpful

[​IMG]
    Confusion and nothing but an amatuer....
    by mike o (2 reviews)
    March 29, 2009 - Likes it I am an employee at Keith Young's and will leave it at that. The comment on the b-day trip, what are you talking about. There is not a waitress in the restaurant to ask anything. You must have this place confused with Young's in Slidell. The other guy, Israel did you say you asked for seperate checks? You have no business writing a review, anyone too cheap to divide a meal ticket among the table is a complete novice in any restaurant scene go to Longhorn.
    7 / 8 people recommend this review Recommend | Not helpful

[​IMG]
    Outstanding!
    by Jeff (9 reviews)
    August 04, 2010 - Likes it Keith Young's Steakhouse is one of the top 2 or 3 professionally run restaurants on the north shore. The food is always outstanding and the service is as professional as it gets. One of the best values for lunch anywhere (a $10 huge steak sandwich to die for, including salad) and a very good wine list. Really nice addition last year with the bar expansion. Anyone critical of this place either didn't let Keith or Linda know about a problem or just doesn't appreciate top notch establishments.
    Recommend | Not helpful

[​IMG]
    Service is bad, food is bland.
    by In Like Flynt (13 reviews)
    August 11, 2010 - Doesn't like it Service is bad, food is bland and the price is outrageous. Huge mistake ever stepping foot into this place.
    Recommend | Not helpful

[​IMG]
    Suck ups?
    by red_lavalamp (37 reviews)
    August 22, 2009 - Doesn't like it The whole time I was there I felt like I was being fakingly sucked up to. Maybe some people like to get their butts kissed, but I want to go in and talk to humans not yes sir no sir robots.
    0 / 1 people recommend this review Recommend | Not helpful

[​IMG]
    Fabulous Dining
    by Tom T (16 reviews)
    April 11, 2009 - Likes it Keith Young's has to be one of the finest North Shore Restaurants. The service is always impeccable! The food is fabulous. My wife and I have eaten here many times and it is consistently excellent. If you like grilled Lamb, you have to try it!

[​IMG]
    You've got to be kidding
    by Catlady (2 reviews)
    April 06, 2009 - Likes it My hubby and I have been going to Keith Young's since it opened. The restaurant is nothing short of first class. The service is wonderful and the food is superb. Anyone who wants to split a check needs only to put a credit card for each couple in the bill and it will be evenly split. Those who don't know better are amateurs. Anyone who doesn't appreciate Keith Young's needs to stick with chains-they don't appreciate fine dining.
    3 people recommend this review Recommend | Not helpful

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] mobile review
    by Angela Cadiere (1 review)
    April 21, 2009 My husband and I love going there. The food is always the same "great". Brain is always our waiter and always outstanding .
    3 people recommend this review Recommend | Not helpful

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] mobile review
    by Izzy (4 reviews)
    March 13, 2009 - Doesn't like it What a joke, the service at mc donalds is better. The atmosphere is that they are trying to be something they are not. We asked to seperate our check, they say that's not possible. DON'T waste your money

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] mobile review
    by Izzy (4 reviews)
    April 01, 2009 - Doesn't like it As I was saying ( mike o ) as with any REAL fine dining establishment the goal is to provide superb food with excellent service, The food was ok and the service sucked, soooo continue being a dishwasher and leave the reviews to CUSTOMERS !!!!
    2 / 3 people recommend this review Recommend | Not helpful

[​IMG]
    Very Disapointed
    by JP14143 (3 reviews)
    March 24, 2009 - Doesn't like it I decided to take my boyfriend there for his bday and what a disaster it was. The service was horrible, it took 20 minutes to even get our drinks. he also had to send his steak back twice 1st because it was under cook and the 2nd time because it was so over done you could barely cut into it! i told the hostess that it was his bday so she have the waitress bring out desert with candles and that never happened. i would rather go eat a steak at applebees than go back there!

[​IMG]
    Amateur Night!!!!
    by mybiscotti (4 reviews)
    March 24, 2009 - Doesn't like it what a joke...First my appetizer arrives on a bread plate ,no presentation, no creativity and of course no flavor just insipid little shrimp badly cooked....my steak was just barely Ok but again there is obviously just some guy who cooks a decent steak at a backyard bbq.
    service OK...but the overall experience ..Amateur night,
    2 / 3 people recommend this review Recommend | Not helpful

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] mobile review
    by susan dennis (1 review)
    September 29, 2009 - Really likes it The Best In Town ! Keith Youngs is the best in town. My husband and I eat there all the time. No complaints what so ever. If you prefer to eat at applebee's then do so.
    Recommend | Not helpful

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] mobile review
    by Jean L (17 reviews)
    August 23, 2009 - Doesn't like it Very good steaks but horrible service....three different times.
    Recommend | Not helpful

[​IMG]
    The Best
    by NOLAKINGFISH (9 reviews)
    June 23, 2009 - Likes it We've been going to Keith Young's since they opened at least every other month or more for dinner and we take our clients there for lunch. Point so we've experienced it all. They greet you at the door and make you feel comfortable at the bar area if a table isn't available. We usually ask for Doug to wait on us only because he knows what we like. The service and food is by far the best on the Northshore and we will keep coming back.
    I usually order the Crabcakes and a House cut filet (rare) with Crab & Mushrooms on top. That's what I call the best in town. The more you cook the meat the tougher it gets. But we've had it all and enjoy it immensely.
    Recommend | Not helpful

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] mobile review
    by George Trousdale (1 review)
    February 28, 2009 - Likes it Linda & Keith are most gracious as are the staff. No item on the menu will disappoint.
    1 person recommends this review Recommend | Not helpful

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] mobile review
    by Pcpar31 (10 reviews)
    June 24, 2009 - Likes it Highly recommend. Excellent steaks. Outstanding lamb. Increibly consistent. Professional staff.
    Recommend | Not helpful

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] mobile review
    by Kd (1 review)
    January 09, 2010 - Likes it The food was delicious and great service too my drink glass was always full! I wouldn't mind going there again
    Recommend | Not helpful

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Don't put much stock in websites that specialize in customer reviews...or at least take things with a grain of salt.

First of all, every (not just any) restaurant can have an actual bad moment. When I cooked for the Brennans we'd serve 350-400 people every day and every day there would be one dissatisfied customer at least...not bad. Problem is that the one dissatisfied customer now can flame the heck out of a restaurant anonymously.

Secondly, it's human nature that the price of a meal distorts taste. When some customers pay a premium price for a meal...it generally tastes better. Eggs Sardou at Brennans is around $32....at the Abita Cafe, $9.95. I promise you that Brennans would provide higher satisfaction as far as taste alone goes because..."I'm paying a lot so it's gonna be better.". Conversely, if something's too inexpensive...it must be no good. Also some people feel that if they're paying more than they're accustomed to, they're more easily disappointed.

Thirdly, any rude, drunk, obnoxious customer who causes a scene and is asked to leave WILL get online and slam the place. My reviews on those websites are generally pretty good. But I fired a longtime waitress and she and all her friends and family tried to hurt my reputation by slamming me online...that's why my sister-in-law got on and posted a raving review on that site.

Personally, I don't care much about reviews...I put my heart and my soul into my work and just let the chips fall where they may.

Bottom line....credibility is an issue with both good and bad reviews.

Go to Young's...it's a beautiful place that serves prime beef that's cooked to order. You'll have a great time there...and be your own judge because your own opinion is the only one that really counts !!

4. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

I agree 100% with you Chef. I have found over the years with movie and food critics that if you do the opposite of what they are spouting that you will enjoy a great movie or a great meal.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

For me I think its the other way around. I've eaten at places that I was really looking forward to and then been disapointed that the food wasn't great. Mayve there was nothing wrong with it but it just wasn't up to my expectations. I've eaten $35 steaks that were not nearly as good as some of the $12 to $16 steaks I've eaten at less pricy cafes. I wasn't looking forward to the experience. I was just going someplace to eat and when the food is much better that I expect I'm happy.

I'm assuming that the Eggs Sardou you cook at your cafe are the same as the Eggs Sardou you cooked at Brennan's. Unless you made some changes that you consider to be an improvement. If I were to be served you dish alongside the Brennen's dish in a blind taste test would I be able to tell the difference?

ARE YOU READY FOR A THROWDOWN? Brennan's renowned Iron Chef Stephanscookin, the delacroix of embryonic cuisine vs challenger stevescookin from the Abita Cafe.

6. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Mine has probably strayed a little through time. It's got to be similar...I'm the same dude.

It's funny, I hardly ever watch food shows because I don't have cable. I wouldn't mind throwin' down with that buxom Italian chick from the food channel though. :hihi: !!