You want "five star" commitments?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by locoguano, Oct 21, 2005.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Funny stuff from tigerbait

2. clair

clair Rockets

It is 100% true...

80% of the team is in the 3 star range...

That is the meat of the team...

It is like the NFL... you got your stud 1st rounders, but the majority of the team is 3rd-4th rounders who have gutted it out

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Man, if Les would really say that to some smart a$$ fan, I'd kiss him on the mouth.

That should be required reading for the Fightin, Dutchtown and Tejas Tigers of the world.

4. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

:eek: You man-kisser, you! :hihi:

5. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

I'm really bored.

QB Jamarcus Russell ****
    RB Joeseph Addai ****
    WR Dwayne Bowe ****
    WR Skyler Green ****
    TE David Jones *** (total guess)
    OT Andrew Whitworth ****
    OT Nate Livings ****
    OG Terrell McGill ****
    OG Brett Helms ***
    C Rudy Niswanger ****

DE Melvin Oliver **** (guess)
    DE Chase Pittman ****
    DT Kyle Williams ****
    DT Claude Wroten *****
    LB Cameron Vaughn ****
    LB Kenneth Hollis ****
    LB Ali Highsmith ***
    CB Chevis Jackson ***
    CB Ronnie Prude ***
    S LaRon Landry ****
    S Jesse Daniels ***

1 *****
    14 ****
    7 ***

Kind of interesting, but somewhat expected. The stars and leaders of the team are 4 star caliber players, while many of the 3 star have developed into solid starters. Out of all the 5 stars on the team (RP, Vincent, Doucet, Carter, Wroten) only two are really contributing this year. I like the way our class looks right now. Mostly 4 star guys, with one 5 star mixed in and the rest is 3 star guys filling out the class.

6. max

max Founding Member

TE David Jones ****
    LB Kenneth Hollis *****

You are much better off with a team filled with 5 star players than with what LSU currently has. That said, LSU has about as much talent as anyone in the country. There are a few 2 star and many 3 star players who are unrecognized studs, but it all depends on the coaching staff to recognize their talent or what they could do at a different positon. Nick Saban was a master at that with players like Joseph Addai, Sklyer Green, Laron Landry, Chevis Jackson, Corey Webster, and Marcus Spears changing positions from high school to college. We will see how good Miles is at seeing the 5 star quality in the 3 star guy. 5 stars are great because they have to have an incredible amount of talent and be pretty safe bets to be among the top 30 players in the country, which are the 5 star players. Of course, there are many players who are not among the top 30 that turn out to be better than them.

I am very happy when we get a four or five star player because I can tell that we have a 90% chance of getting a solid SEC player or something better. Who are the stars on our team: Jamarcus Russell, Joseph Addai, Craig Davis, Dwayne Bowe, Skyler Green, Andrew Whitworth, Rudy Niswanger, Claude Wroten, Kyle Williams, Melvin Oliver, Chase Pittman, and Laron Landry. The only excellent players on the team who were not four star or better are Ali Highsmith, Jessie Daniels, Ronnie Prude, Brett Helms, Chris Jackson and Chevis Jackson. And they were all 3 star guys. That is why people complain when they see LSU sign a 2 star guy. Fans say if he is so good why is that not apparent to the national rating services. Usually 2 star guys don't become starters. Look at the 2 star players signed since Saban got here. Only Jacob Hester receives significant playing time among them. Now look at the amount of playing time that the five star guys have gotten. It is not an exact science, but it gives reassurance of the coach's decision to offer a scholarship.

Chance of being a starter or seeing extensive playing time before the end of their eligibility:

5 star - 90% or more
    4 star - 80%
    3 star - 50%
    2 star - 20%

These numbers are just my approximations after studying recruiting classes at LSU since 2000 and then looking at the player once he is on the team.

7. clair

clair Rockets

A lot of it is based on position

a 2 Star QB could be a 4 star DB... it is all touchy-feeleye...

I will never bash a coach of LSU for recruiting of some player unless he goes to my high school and I have watched EVERY game the yhave played

8. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

I don't think I've ever heard the term 'touchy feely' used to describe recruiting.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

dunno if you noticed but jessie daniels has been spectacular this year.

10. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Also, wasn't Highsmith a four star commit to Miami? Maybe he became a three star when he was denied entry, but wasn't he originally a four star?