you can never have enough

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by alumni95, Jan 14, 2004.

1. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

i've read a few posts talking about how we are "stacked" at RB and WR. while the talent we have right now at RB is great, it doesn't hurt to keep piling it up. there are some rumors that Shyrone may transfer, add in another two (hopefully not more) possible injuries in the season and you could be down to Addai and B. Edwards (or any other combination) in a heart beat. Not saying that those guys couldn't step up and handle the load, but I don't think you can be too deep. a recruiting story that I love helps this theory. everybody said we were stacked when we had K. Faulk and a young Mealy running in tandem. then some kid named Cecil Collins says he wants to come to LSU. somebody asked Cecil, "Why would you come to LSU with all of the talent at running back ahead of you?" Cecil's answer: "Cause I'm better than all of them!" That's what I'm talking about!! Now I'm not much of a fan for what became of the Diesel, but he was one heck of a running back. and he probably wasn't wrong when he claimed he was the best. all that to say that we shouldn't be turning down any top talent no matter how deep we think we are. (however, the good news is that Saban and crew don't tolerate head cases like Cecil no matter how talented they are.)

from a WR standpoint, it wouldn't hurt to keep stockpiling also. the loss of Clayton and Henderson together will leave big holes and the opportunity for young talent to step in NOW. that should be appealing to guys like X. Carter. Consider our 4 wide out coming in next season as: Green, Doucet, Bowe & Hill (WOW!!) With what we expect from J. Russell, and a wider open offense from Fisher (ala Davey/Reed era) a 4 receiver set should be commonplance. that only leaves C. Davis as a top backup if somebody goes down.

So though we have great talent, I don't think we should be satisfied and say we are too stacked. SEC competition can wear you down quick. But what a difference we now have on our depth chart from the recent past! I have to say WOW again, but let's keep them coming!!

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

you are completely right.

3. LSULSULSU

LSULSULSU Founding Member

4. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Re: Joe Lawrence

This is why I support age restrictions in college athletics. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that a 27-year old man will be on the field with 18-year old kids.

If the guy is physically fit and wants to play football, he should try and secure a tryout with an NFL team. That's what the Beer Man did in NO.

My proposal is that no one over the age of 25 should be allowed on the football field, or any other college surface. And I mean that as less than 26. You can still play at age 25. Basis is, you graduate at 19. You can have up to 2 RS seasons, and 4 years of playing for 6 years. 19+6 = 25. As long as you don't turn 26 before your last season is up, you can continue to participate in college athletics. But a 26 or 27-year old freshman is too much to handle.

5. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

I see no problem whatsoever with older players as long as they are not considered a professional in the particular sport they are competing in and have been certified physically fit. Besides, it makes for a very interesting curiosity to say the least. Imagine the attention he'll garner if he becomes number one on the depth chart. I know it will be interesting for me to follow his progress, since I remember well watching him play both football and baseball while he was a player at Barbe.

6. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

lawerence can play. he could have came here when he left barbe high had he not rewrote the louisiana high school baseball records. i'm surprised the blue jays cut him considering he had made it all the way to the majors. he comes in the store i work at and i talk to him every once in a while. he is a good pick up.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Kids can go straight fom highschool and play pro baseball, basketball, hockey so I don't think it is so bad a guy 27 playing college ball. Quality walkons can make a big difference on a team. Who knows maybe this guy is really good, his highschool coach thinks so. Welcome aboard young man glad to have you as a Tiger.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Baseball players hardly ever cut a first round draft choice, they usually trade them to another team and that team cuts him. That way they never have to say they cut a first rounder. They traded him for so & so, who we traded to so & so for so & so, etc.

9. tigrman

tigrman Founding Member

This is great! All I have to do is quit smoking, drinking beer, and all the other self mutilating practices that I now entertain, work out enough to put on about 50 pounds of muscle and then I too can walk-on at LSU!

Aint God good!:D