You are an NFL GM/Head Coach

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by shane0911, Dec 18, 2010.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Do you draft scam newton and if so in what round?

My opinion, I don't even give him a sniff until at least the 5th round and depending on who was available I'd probably pass on him. Nothing to do with his pfp stuff. That really doesn't correlate to anything he will do in the NFL. I just don't think he has the goods. He very well may and is just not in an offense that gives him the ability to showcase it but I'd stay away.

What say the forum?

2. 100%TigerBred

100%TigerBred Founding Member

I say late second early 3rd at the earliest just because of his potental (sp?). But, it has to be a team that is patient because as a qb he has alot to learn and if you move him where does he play. I say if he aint a QB then I move him to TE. But he has alot of upside and his size and speed actually make him a great prospect. IMO though if he comes out this year he goes 1st round especially if he plays out his a$$ in the BCSNCG.

3. shane0911

I haven't thought about the TE possibility. That is interesting to say the least and I could see that. The thing with QB's is they are such a gamble and you always here the big shots talk about what a risk it is to take one in the 1st round. More times than not the experts are right because the Sam Bradfords are rare. How many NFL teams run a zone read option? I can't think of one. If this cat was having to cheat his way through UF then I don't like his chances of reading a Belichick defense and coming up with the right answer in less than 3 seconds. Potential? I'm not going to be so bold as to say it isn't there but it will take at least 3-5 years to develop it at the QB position. Too big a risk for me.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

To me, Cam Newton is the combination of Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell. What have we learned about physical freaks who tear it up in college at the quarterback position? We have learned that they are so gifted physically, that they pretty much always rely on that, and really don't have to work on the mental aspect of the game because they are so much more gifted than anyone else.

Can Cam Newton be a good NFL quarterback? I think he can, but will he? Will he put in the work on his mental game, like studying defenses, being able to read defenses at the line of scrimmage, being a smart quarterback like Brees, Manning, and Brady. Will he be able to eat the entire humble pie and realize that once he gets drafted, he isn't crap, but a name. He has proven NOTHING at this level.

Personally, I wouldn't draft him, unless he was available in the 5th or 6th round. There is no way in hell I would waste a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick on him. Those picks especially the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks, have so much value. Generally teams don't like 1st round picks, unless there is just that person the absolutely must have, because of the insane rookie contracts that they have to give on an unproven player.

5. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

I'd be happy if the Chiefs drafted him. Cassel is good, but imagine a running game with Thomas Jones, Dexter McCluster, Jamaal Charles, and Cam Newton. They are 1st in rushing without Newton. With him they would be tough to stop.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I guess if you used him as just a wildcat type guy like Ronnie Brown in Miami, but he had a horrible year this year. But how high would you take him? Surely it wouldn't be first 4 for a gimmick player?

7. *LSUTiger*

*LSUTiger* LSU/CLEMSON

I wouldn't want him with my team, I would pass him up, spread the word to all the GM's, and hope he never got drafted....Now that would be very cool if that happened, but in reality its highly likely it will happen someone will get him.

8. shane0911

Oh there is no doubt that he will be drafted. I just think he will be drafted...oh probably about 4 rounds higher than he should be. NFL coaches and GM's have massive ego's and think they have the ability to work miracles. We shall see I guess. That little qb draw crap that he runs with much success ends with cracked ribs and forgetting his damn name in NFL. I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Since McDaniels is no longer in Denver, that reduces his chances of getting selected in the first round. :lol:

10. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

Cam's not at all a "good" person and most here obviously don't like him, myself included. But if you are drafting for a team and you pass on him you wouldn't last long in the NFL. He's clearly the best player in college and if a team needs a QB and Locker or Luck isn't on the board you're taking Newton. Unliike Tebow he can throw the ball. Unlike Tebow, he actually has speed to go along with his size. Tebow piled up stats from 1 yard runs. Newton did with 50 yard runs.

I counted 10 teams that need a QB. Washington, Cleveland, Cincinnati(since I think they get rid of Palmer), Buffalo, Arizona, San Fran, Seattle, Tennessee, Carolina, and Minnesota.