Yo la tengo!

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by martin, May 31, 2007.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270530114

"In the top of the ninth Alex Rodriguez appeared to yell out "I got it" during an infield pop up, causing the Jays infielder to drop what would have been the third out of the inning."

i do not like arod and the yankees, but i like this play. players are calling him out, saying it is cheap to trick infielders like that. i dunno, i think arod is awesome for trying.

""That's not Yankee pride right there," he said. "That's not the way they play. I thought it was bush league." - jays manager john gibbons

2. clair

clair Rockets

as soon as the ball fell to the turf, the infielder immediately turned to A-Rod and got all pissed.

If he was so sure it was A-Rod talking, why did he not shrug him off and make the play?

It's the oldest trick in the book on A-Rod's part, but it worked.

3. LSUalum24

LSUalum24 Founding Member

Welcome back cgisclair. I thought this thread was about the band, who are great BTW, until I saw it was in the pro sports forum.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

the band are big mets fans and they are named after a met anecdote. i am sure yu know this, but i like the story:

"The band's name comes from a baseball anecdote. During the 1962 season, New York Mets center fielder Richie Ashburn and Venezuelan shortstop Elio Chacón found themselves colliding in the outfield. When Ashburn went for a catch, he would scream, "I got it! I got it!" only to run into the 160-pound Chacón, who spoke only Spanish. Ashburn learned to yell, "¡Yo la tengo! ¡Yo la tengo!" which is "I've got it" in Spanish. In a later game, Ashburn happily saw Chacón backing off. He relaxed, positioned himself to catch the ball, and was instead run over by 200-pound left fielder Frank Thomas, who understood no Spanish.[1]"

6. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

If it bothered Clark that much, why didn't he just walk over and bitch-slap A-rod. That's baseball. Clark must be a sissy.

7. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Great play. That's baseball.

8. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Ain't no different than saying "hey batter batter.......SWING!" back in the day. It's baseball. I'm no Yanks fan, but I think A-Rod was smart for doing it.

9. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I thought it was hilarious...bush league or not. It didn't happen to me, so it's funny.