WTF was John Fox thinking about at the end of the game???

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by TigerBacker70, Nov 8, 2009.

1. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Am I missing something here? :2X seconds left, no timeouts, down by 10 points on the 3 yard line on 4th and goal. Carolina decides to go for the TD instead of kicking the filed goal and then trying the onside kick. Is there some football bizarro universe where that's a sound coaching decision? By turning the ball over on downs, the game is now over. Period. By kicking the chip shot field goal, you still ave a chance by recovering the onside and throwing a couple of shots at the end zone.

And what made the Saints decide to throw on 3rd and 8 with 2:44 left and stop the clock on the incompletion? :insane: Running the ball brings the clock down to the 2 minute warning before you have to punt (assuming you don't convert). Payton was a bit boneheaded on some of the coaching decisions at the end of the game. Like the timeout before immediately challenging afterward. :confused:

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

You know I would normally agree with this logic, but the actual correct play is to go for it if you really want any chance at getting to a tie score.

Here is the logic.

You have a much better chance at making a 4th and short and then being down only 3, and kicking a FG after an onside kick, than getting 3 first and onside kick and then a hail mary to tie.

You're basically trading in the chance at a hail mary (or 2 of them) for this 4th down play which will take only 3-4 seconds off the clock. 18 seconds left and you got 2 pass plays to get in FG range if you recover the kick

believe me i was nervous on that 4th down play

And Kasay would make it from 60 against the Saints. Trust that.

3. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Yes, I thought about that. But logic dictates that any chace at tying the game is better than none, right? A 20 yard feild goal isn't guaranteed, but almost. It's a much higher percentage of scoring than scoring the TD on 4th and 3. As the outcome showed us. At any rate, the field goal at least gives you a chance at winning, even if it does require an oonside recovery, long Hail Mary, or a PI call to give you another shot.

With Delhomme as my QB, I don't trust him to make theat throw (even though it wasn't his fault that willioams dropped the pass).

I take the 3 and play on with a chance to win.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Yeah i think it was the right move being that they were so close to the end zone.

5. islstl

yes if it has been 4 and 4 at the 20 yard line, then I say kick it because you may make the first down and not get in the endzone which would essentially run out the clock and give you no chance.

6. mean machine

mean machine Founding Member

They were too close to the endzone to not go for the TD.

And I agree with Payton throwing it on third and eight. By the time the delayed blitz came from the left, Pierre Thomas had committed to blocking on the right which forced Brees to throw it too soon. If he picks up that blitzer, I think it's an easy 1st down catch. JMO.

7. islstl

I agree about trying to get the first down and put an end to the game.

But I did not like the run up the middle with 11 in the box. That was senseless.

Run your offense as normal when the other team has a chance to get the ball back by the 2 minute warning. Time wasn't an issue if you go 3 and out so try to get the first down as if it's the first drive of the ballgame.

8. cristof11

cristof11 Founding Member

None of these two decisions by both coaches match what Tom Coughlin did after the interception put the Giants in the red zone with less than 3 minutes left. He seemed content with just kicking a field goal instead of trying to score a TD. Suffice to easy that it cost them dearly.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

see i thought what Andy Reid did against the Cowboys sunday night was really stupid. He is down 7 with 4 minutes on the clock, and no timeouts, and on 4th and 8, he decides to kick a 55 yard field goal instead of going for it. What good does a field goal do? Then he didn't even on side kick. Cowboys just ran the clock out.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

you dont have to always echo the talking heads point of view. they are usually wrong.

wasnt a bad call. his defense simply couldnt stop barber.

it helps because a td wins the game now. huge difference than simply tying it.