WTF is wrong with the field?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JoeReckless, Nov 25, 2002.

1. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

You would think that a bigtime football school like LSU would spend a little on making sure that they have a decent playing field. It has been in poor shape all season long. The field has no grass. It is painted green for pete's sake. I think that the grounds keeper should be fired.

BEAT THE PIGS
    GEAUX TIGERS

2. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Think of it this way. Maybe, just maybe, the big time football program spent some money to make sure the field was in exactly the shape they wanted it in. It only rained in Baton Rouge on Monday, and a little Tuesday, leaving plenty of time for the field to dry. Plus the fact that LSU's players did not seem to have any trouble with slipping, I think it worked out great for the tigers ;)

3. dplsu

dplsu Founding Member

I don't know what game you were watching, but from my view in West 14, players were slipping all over the place.

4. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

I spent this past week down in South LA and it was soggy the entire week. I think that it rained most of the day Tuesday and really really came down all day Wednesday... and the ground was already saturated before that. I remember sloshing through the mud pretty much every day last week.

And I did see LSU players slipping (look at DH on the opening kick-off).

5. -T-

-T- Founding Member

It wasn't just this game. The field has been in horrible shape all year, so the LSU did this on purpose reason doesn't really work.

6. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Didn't a couple of hurricanes/tropical storms blow through SoLa earlier this football season? Hasn't it rained most of the "fall"? I don't live there anymore, but I understand it has been pretty wet over the last few months. Give the grounds crew a break -- it is impossible to keep a field looking perfect all year. Did anyone notice the steam roller they used yesterday in Pittsburgh to smooth out the grass? And that is in a new stadium. Sometimes Mother Nature just does not cooperate.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This field has a state-of-the-art undrground drainage system and the groundskeepers keep the field covered with a tarp if it rains the day before or the morning of the game. The field was NOT wet. The problem was that the turf itself was tearing up like divots on the golf course.

Someone on another board said that the grass was oversaturated with the mid-season rain from the two hurricanes and developed a shallow root structure that just wasn't holding the turf down. The Tiger stadium groundskeepers are experts in their jobs and have worked hard to keep it in good shape, but mother nature doesn't always cooperate.

We are spoiled at LSU because the grass grows all season. Yankee football fields are all mudholes by now because their grass died in September.