Why you guys are all wrong about Brady Quinn

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by bitter ND, Apr 16, 2007.

1. bitter ND

bitter ND Founding Member

I keep hearing this mantra on this board that while BQ had a great season where he led his team to a BCS bowl game, he still sucks because he plays horribly against elite teams.

But, let's look at the 2005 season. BQ led ND to a upset win over Michigan, which had been ranked in the top 5 in the preseason. And, then there was that near upset of USC, the number one team that regular season. BQ led his team back, with a few minutes left, to give ND the lead. But, USC somehow pulled off an incredible comeback (with help from the officials). Are you guys going to try to say that BQ played terribly against those teams?

Now, let's look at the 2006 season. And, even I must acknowledge that BQ didn't play exceptionally well against ND's toughest opponents that season. But, how is that any different than JR's struggles that season against elite defenses? BQ gets mercilessly disrespected on this forum because of his performance against LSU and Michigan, but why does JR get a free pass when he too struggled against great defenses?

ND and LSU both played tough opponents that had very good to great defenses, where those defense gave up less than 15 points a game. For ND, those teams were Michigan, Penn State, USC, and then LSU. And, for LSU, those teams were Florida and Auburn.

Now, let's break down our respective QB's performances against these teams:

Quinn completed 86 out of 154 passes for 8 TDs v. 5 Interceptions. This gave him a QB rating of 77.9, and he averaged 25.0 points.

JR completed 44 out of 76 passes for one touchdown vs. 3 Intercepions to give him a QB rating of 66.5. He only averaged 6.5 points per game!!

So, if BQ plays poorly against elite defenses, then what do you call JR's performance?

1 person likes this.
  2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Brady Quinn is a good QB.

ND was overrated...somewhere between a South Carolina and Ole Miss.

Quinn is not a top draft pick. I have nothing personal against him, he just isn't a difference maker, which is what a #1 pick needs to be. I think he will be a solid Pro.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah LSU blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

1 person likes this.
  4. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Yah, and I saw ALL THAT with MY OWN DAMN EYES from my seat in tha Dome. :thumb: :geauxtige

5. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Re: Why you are delusional and get your ass handed to you daily on this board

You won't ever think clearly enough to get it so it's probably a wasted response, but I still won't allow someone like yourself to come to this board and insult one of our players after the treatment LSU fans received on your own board last fall, so I will reply.

As both QB's are entering the draft, this last year of development is the one that counts. They are not 35 year old men with a body of work for you to pick and choose from. This was the year they both went pro so it is assumed they have learned enough to graduate to the next level. In Quinn's case, he could probably use another 4 years under the wizard, and he might squeak out a bowl victory one day, but that's a whole other thread.

In your only games vs ranked opponents, you managed ONE victory at home against #19 Penn St. You lost to #11 Michigan at home(badly), #3 USC away(badly), and #4 LSU away(really badly).

In LSU's season vs ranked opponents, we managed to lose to #3 Auburn away(4 points), lose to #5 Florida away(13 points), win over #8 Tenn away, win over #5 Ark away, and win over #11 ND at home.

Take a closer look Bitter and you will notice that LSU played 4 teams ranked #8 or higher, all on the road, in the acknowledged, toughest league in the country this year, and walked away with two victories. No team has ever faced a road schedule like this before and I hope we don't again.You may also notice that I didn't bother to count your team, and I attribute that to the fact that you guys most assuredly did not deserve your ranking, and were wildly over matched for any BCS game. Our respective field generals led their teams either to victory or defeat. You can cherry pick if you like, but against ranked opponents, your boy got his clock cleaned and looked bad doing it.

The only obvious thing that anyone gets any time you post, is that you didn't actually watch a single LSU game until we were ramming the ball down your throats. Most of us on the other hand, are subjected to watching the almighty rejects week in and week out. Quinn's #'s don't add up and neither do the #'s for ND.

Again, you probably won't get this, but it is unlikely your arguments will ever do anything here except make you look foolish.

1 person likes this.
  6. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

In all honesty if this post came from anyone but Bitter, I'd probably give it a shot--there are pertinent points being made. But... who cares.

7. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

I need you to write my posts for me in the future. You summed it up perfectly. :thumb::thumb:

8. bitter ND

We're not arguing which team was better. Obviously, on that day, LSU was the better team on the field.

Instead, we're talking about the QB. Just because a QB's team is more dominating than another QB's team does not mean that the former is therefore a better QB than the latter. If BQ had the same talent around him as JR did, the same protection, and faced the same lackluster ND defense, BQ would have also garnered some pretty gaudy numbers as well.

9. bitter ND

I don't understand how the margin of victory is relevant here. JR only averaged 6.5 points in those two losses to Auburn and Florida. The fact that those games weren't blowouts despite the anemic performance by JR is a testament to LSU's defense, that was able to keep the game close. If JR had thrown those type of numbers and coupled it with ND's defense, that too would have been a blow out. Or, to turn it around, if BQ had a defense like LSU playing for him, he probably would have won those games.

When you compare performances by both QBs when they faced tough defenses, you could make the argument that BQ actually does better than JR. BQ had a higher QB rating, a more favorable TD to Interception ratio, and his team scored more points.

10. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

Brady should be thanking the raiders that he doesnt have to go to oakland. he wouldnt last long in that setting