why is saban going after ricky williams so hard?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by geauxgirl80, Jan 16, 2005.

1. geauxgirl80

geauxgirl80 Freshman

ricky said on the 60 minutes interview that he can't pass a drug test. why is nick just not letting him go?

2. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

He knows the talent he possesses. My guess is that he knows a good running game is key to his (Saban's) success at Miami. Going after a new running back is always a gamble cause you don't know how he'll turn out on the pro level. Since Ricky Williams is a proven dominant back, he knows what he's got with Ricky. But then there's always the risk he'll quit, so I don't know.

3. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I did not know Saban was courting RW. But let's say he is. HAS THIS MAN LOST HIS MIND. That wouldexplain why he left LSU. Even if RW comes back a new Person would'nt he still ahve a 4 game suspension. If RW is retired then there is no salary cap issue. DUNNO

4. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

My guess is this. The fins WON'T tolerate RW on their team after he quit on them. But he has trade value, IF he gets his act together and comes back clean. Saban could be motivating him, creating a positive environment for him to get his act together, so RW can say the right things, and Saban can get a 2nd rounder for him, instead of a 4th rounder.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

You guys ever hear of a trade? He is much more valuable to the Dolphins if he is eligible than ineligible. If he gets ok's to play football again I suspect Saban would try and trade him if possible.

6. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

I didn't know he was. Doesn't make sense to me. Ricky williams does not seem to be a Saban kind of player (no class or at best 3rd class, maybe).The Dolphins have the second overall pick this year, unless they have traded it away already. I understand that they have a number of pressing needs but they would save a lot in salary cap by not bringing him back. It would be a huge gamble, what would the impact be on team morale? He walked away once what's changed to make one believe it wouldn't happen again? Also, there doesn't seem to be any change in his preference for smoking weed over almost any other activity. "Screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me." I don't see it happening. :dis:

7. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

The Raiders have expressed interest in Ricky Williams.

Ricky williams has said he woudl liek to play for the Raiders.

The Dolphins "own" Williams and are liable for his contract.

Getting Williams to come back and trading him off would be a major accomplishment for Saban.

It all makes perfect sense.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Why is there a perception that Saban is going after him "hard"?

Am I missing something?

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I've said this before, but it bears repeating. The Dolphins may want to trade him and the Raiders have expressed interest, but what would they (Raiders) be willing to give up for him? I know the Raiders have a reputation for taking in NFL cast aways, but I think Ricky's situation is even too much of a gamble for them to risk too much on him. I think they'd (dolphins) be extremely lucky to coax a first round pick for him.

10. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I'm surprised anyone has to ask this question. Obviously, as stated above, for trade bait. And the benefit to the Fins of a trade OF ANY VALUE is to get his salary off their cap. Duh...