Who is Harry Coleman?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by MikeD, Jan 28, 2004.

1. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I haven't heard anything about this guy and now he is LSU's 25th committment. Jimbo Fischer called Sid Edwards to tell him that there were no more scholarships available for Jay Jucas.

I thought that we were holding this spot gor Herman Johnson.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/012804/lsu_recruit001.shtml

LSU adds commitment; Tigers no longer recruiting Lucas

By WILLIAM WEATHERS
    [email protected]
    Advocate sportswriter

While LSU picked up another football commitment from West St. Mary's Harry Coleman, the Tigers are no longer recruiting Redemptorist running back Jay Lucas, who made an official visit to LSU last weekend.
    Former Redemptorist football coach Sid Edwards said that LSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher called Tuesday to say that LSU no longer had any scholarships available.

"I could tell when Jimbo called, he had a heavy heart," Edwards said. "That's because he likes Jay the kid as much as he does the player. But their numbers say they can't do anything. It's disappointing, but he (Lucas) understands it's a business and that was explained to him. Nothing is guaranteed."

Edwards said Lucas, a two-time all-state running back, is now wide open and considering taking an official visit to Southern University this weekend.

"I've been on the phone and seeing what's out there," Edwards said. "He's going to re-evaluate and start again. He feels God will put him where he wants him."

Edwards also confirmed that defensive standouts Johnell Neal, a cornerback, committed to Central Florida and Mendel Esnault, an outside linebacker, will attend Dodge City (Kan.) Community College.

The versatile Coleman (6-2, 210) was considered one of the state's top dual athletes, starring for West St. Mary-Baldwin at both wide receiver and linebacker. He helped the Wolfpack to consecutive Class 3A state playoff appearances, including a 10-0 regular season and trip to the state quarterfinals where they lost to Lutcher, the eventual state champion.

Coleman committed to LSU following a weekend visit. He also visited Louisiana Tech and considered Northwestern State.

Coleman, rated the nation's No. 36 outside linebacker by Rivals.com and a Class 3A All-State selection as linebacker as a senior, also attended LSU's summer camp and made unofficial visits to home games last fall against Western Illinois and Florida.

"I went to the parade (of champions) and really enjoyed it," Coleman said. "They have a family atmosphere over there and I liked that."

Coleman said in the event that he doesn't become academically qualified before August he would not enroll in school, continue taking the ACT with the hope of enrolling next January or attend a junior college.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

LSU will oversign 1 or 2 more if any of the remaining 4-star and 5-star players they are recruiting will commit. There are always a couple of academic casualties. Lucas should have committed earlier if he really wanted to go to LSU. If you want to wait until the last minute, you had better be a major blue-chip.

Like the other running back recruits, Lucas probably sees too many underclassmenr running backs ahead of him at LSU. He can play early at Southern.

3. conradj

conradj Founding Member

He is supposed to grayshirt like JV, if he does he will count towards next years 25

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

He was awesome on Different Strokes.

"What you talking about Willis..."

I love that.

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Coleman is a ballhawk who played linebacker for an outstanding West St. Mary defense this year. In a smaller school setting, he could dominate at wide receiver; good hands, good wheels, great size. Look for him to play defense at LSU. I'm sure they'll try to bulk him up to 230 or so to play LB, but I think it would be interesting to see him move to strong safety. At 6-4, 210, big hitter and definitely strong and quick enough to guard a tight end, he could be awesome back there.

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

But why is the day that he commits is the first day that I and probably many other Tiger fans hear anything about him?

7. mctiger

Good question and I really don't have a good answer. I can only tell you that I was at West St. Mary High School in the main office one Friday morning this past October. And on the counter (why it was sitting out in the open where anyone could see it, I have no idea) was a letter addressed to Coleman on LSU football letterhead from Nick Saban, saying he looked forward to seeing Coleman on campus that weekend. A form letter to be sure, but it shows LSU's been on him all this season. His coach told me a little later that Coleman had really enjoyed the visit.

8. mctiger

and actually, both dandydon.com and the Advocate announced his visit in their recruiting notes. Did we skip our weekend reading assignment?? lol