Who has the richest sports franchise in the world? The richest sports league?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by JohnLSU, Feb 1, 2008.

1. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

The link to that Forbes article you are talking about is here -- http://www.forbes.com/business/2007...tions-biz-07nfl_cz_kb_mo_cs_0913nfl_land.html

It says that:

The NFL is the richest sports league in the world, with the average team worth some $957 million. And the Dallas Cowboys, the most valuable team in the NFL, are now the single most valuable sports franchise on the planet, worth $1.5 billion.

The New Orleans Saints are ranked #25 out of 32, ahead of the Chargers, Bills, Raiders, Jags, 49ers, Falcons, and Vikings (in that order).

Here's another link -- http://www.newser.com/story/7512.html

Dated Sept 14, 2007, it says that:

The Dallas Cowboys have toppled the Washington Redskins from their 7-year reign as the world's most valuable sports franchise, Forbes reports in its annual rankings of NFL teams. Dallas edged out the Redskins ($1.467 billion) and stayed...ahead of other top franchises: the New York Yankees ($1.2 billion) and Manchester United ($1.453 billion).

(Note that the NFL team barely beat Manchester United)

I'm surprised to see Forbes rank an NFL team ahead of the Yankees and Manchester United. Had you asked me, I would have told you that Manchester United was by far #1 richest on the planet, and that the Yankees were by far #1 richest just in the US.

Regardless...

I'd rather see the Texas-based Cowboys be the team taking a shot at the undisputed best team in history rather than the Massachusetts-based Patriots, but I have to admit that it even makes the Patriots look even greater -- being that they were only #3 in terms of economic value this year, and that they have done better in recent history than teams like the Redskins, who were the richest team over the last seven years before being passed by the Cowboys this year (it will be interesting to see how long Dallas can stay #1 like that).

But at least the Cowboys were a pretty solid team this year, unlike ND (who the Forbes stats showed was, by far, the most valuable economic team in college football).

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I am pretty surprised the Steelers and Lions are that low being in big cities with new stadiums. Then again you might die getting to them.

How is Buffalo ahead of Atlanta?

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i remember hearing last year the yankees were worth one billion. the nfl's tv network revenue is ungodly in comparison to other sports.

5. cristof11

cristof11 Founding Member

Expext both the Yankees and Cowboys to increase their value a good amount ounce they start playing in their new stadiums.

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Right, but that's why my OP included this:

But then again, you have to remember that this is just the angle Forbes looks at it, according to the methodology they choose to use to evaluate the "richest."