When will we play our best players?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerace, Nov 14, 2007.

1. tigerace

tigerace Founding Member

Is it me or has the lsu coaching staff not committed itself to playing the best players? I believe that until the coaching staff does this we will struggle with various parts of our game. For example, I happen to really like Hester. I think he is a wonderful fullback and an adequate, safe choice for tailback. It astounds me that Keiland Williams has all world skills (in my opinion), he averages 7 yd per carry, yet against La Tech, Shawn Jordan had more carries than Williams? Williams has home run potential every time he touches the ball. I have no doubt that Williams would be one of the top 3 leading rushers in the SEC if he was allowed to carry the ball 15-18 times a game. Look at UGA (whom i dislike), but they had 3-4 solid RB's, but they found out Moreno was the best and he gets the bulk of the carries and their running game has been elevated because of this. Also, Hester is a true fullback and is can cause a defense to have to prepare for him: he can run, he can block and he can catch. Jordan can block and that is it. We lose an offensive weapon with Hester at RB. I am glad the coaches are finally playing Tolliver (whom I think is a big time playmaker) and Byrd vs mitchell and lafell (whom i think will have a big year next year). Same goes for Chad Jones- he should never, ever come off the field. He oozes with talent and skil. I have been very wary about our RB situation all year long and as good as we have been, we could be lights out if the coaches would committ to playing the best players, not just the "safe" choice. I think we win our next three and make it to the NC Game, but I think life is easier if LSU plays the best players.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

careful, someone will say keiland is still learning those complicated blocking schemes that prevented him from playing much last year.

must be almost as complicated as learning the drop-linebacker position.

1 person likes this.
  3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Given our games this year, including a loss...I'm going with ummm....no.

1 person likes this.
  4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

step away from the crackpipe.

5. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

You dont really think this do you?

I sure hope Miles doesn't.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's you, amigo. The coaches are playing the best players, why wouldn't they? Some fans always seem to favor the guy that ain't playing and I'll never understand this. You just don't hand the team over to promising sophomores when you have dependable seniors that are winning.

LSU is the #1 team in the nation. Why would anyone think that Hester or Flynn or any starter shouldn't be playing? :huh:

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

9-1, #1, SEC West champs

And down the stretch vs. Florida, I didn't want the ball in anyone else's hands.

58-10 (we won by the way)

Williams needs a hole. The guy that sits behind me always says "KW would have took that one to the house" when Hester get a 10-12 yard run. So I reply "KW would have lost yards on that one" when Hester carries 2-3 defenders across the line in a crucial point of the game.

LSU = 220 rush ypg
    UGA = 174 rush ypg

Wanna trade places with them?

Which is why he gets the most playing time.

Which is why he doesn't get much playing time.

Yet lead the entire SEC in total offense

He might get a little tired.:hihi:

Most talented DOES NOT EQUAL best
    We have the # 1 rushing offense in the SEC, we are ranked #1 in the country, we have already clinched the division.

Edit: #2 rushing offense in the SEC (I momentarily forgot the state of Arkansas even existed)

I thin kLSU wins out with the players that have been playing.

4 people like this.
  8. DRC

DRC TigerNator

:huh: Thanks for your 2nd post to tigerforums. It was very enlightening.

1 person likes this.
  9. K_Jay

K_Jay Founding Member

Amen to that brother and furthermore why doesn't Miles see that if we just hiked the ball straight to Trindon Holiday and he ran the ball every play we would probably win every game by 50-60 points. No one would be able to see him behind the o-line and he would score a touchdown. Can someone get in touch with CLM and tell him that please so that we will be assured of winning the championship this year.

10. tigerdro

tigerdro GEAUX TIGERS!

i agree with nutriarch. the true playmakers are the ones who get the most touches.

yes, there were some play calling and personnel issues with the kentucky game. in every other game, the playmakers have found a way to get the W - the knock down of Tebow's pass as the clock runs out, the Hester TD against Auburn, the fumble recovery at Alabama. That's what playmakers do - despite the odds and everything else against them on the field - THEY MAKE IT HAPPEN!

look at Boston College against VA Tech a few weeks ago. at 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, it looked like VT had it under wraps. But no. Matt Ryan quarterbacked his @$$ off and the rest of his team stepped up to shake his hand. Matt Ryan is a playmaker of the best sort - a playmaker that makes playmakers of other players.

CLM and staff know these guys way better than we do. They see them on the practice field. We only see them in games, and sometimes we don't see much of them. The football staff gets paid a lot of money to make decisions that determine the outcome of the games. They know who the playmakers are better than any of us in seats in the stands or on our couches at home. If Keiland Williams doesn't get a lot of touches in a game, you can bet your buttery buns that there is a reason. That reason could be anything from didn't do well in practice with the playbook for the next game to skipped a class or had someone write a term paper for him. This ain't the pros. There are lots of reasons a player doesn't get to play, and many of them have nothing to do with skill or talent at football.

We have to have faith in the staff and in the team. They know what to do. They just have to make it happen. I personally, will choose not to speculate about "what if RP plays more" or "what would the score be if they gave KW the ball more" or whatever "what if" player scenario you can dream up. I'll take the Ws we got with the players that made them and trust that the staff knows way more about the less active players than I do.

:tigereye:

2 people like this.