What is up with this

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tail-gator, Mar 14, 2002.

1. tail-gator

tail-gator Founding Member

LSU administrators are investigating the claims of a faculty member on campus, that members of Nick Saban's football team may have received preferential treatment with their academic work. WAFB has learned that the investigation centers on nearly 60-percent of Saban's squad, that may have benefited from efforts by the academic center for athletes.

The preferential treatment could include help with grades, tests that were retaken and missed assignments that were accepted late, which could all be NCAA violations. At least one counselor has been reassigned in the wake of this investigation, and Saban has been in on subsequent meetings.

I hope they check into this, and not just sweep it under the rug.
    I see to many athletes, that can't make a complete sentence, with me going 'Huh?'. These kids need to get a real education. But the sad part is all they want is the almight $$$. and go pro.
    Don't get me wrong, alot of schools do this, but it doesn't make it right. I just hate to see this tarnish the Gold in the Tigers Purple.

JMHO

2. BamaBengal

BamaBengal Founding Member

Nice post tail-gator. Unfortunately this goes on far too much. And we probably don't even see the half of it.

3. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

At this point it is just an internal investigation, and the NCAA is not involved. Hopefully it is not true. Skip said these kind of allegations are quite common, and they have to investigate all of them to make sure there are no improprieties.

I am going to hold off my judgement until all of the facts come out. Too many rumors become larger than life thanks to the internet and perception often becomes reality.

4. NMTiger

NMTiger Founding Member

If I'm not mistaken didn't we recently have an investigation into this and found absolutely no evidence. Either way I'm not too worried as of now. Theses type of allegations surface every now and then at most universities and rarely are they proven to be true. If they are true then we deserve what we get. But I have faith in coach and Skip and really think that there is nothing there.

5. Ellis Hugh

The latest news is that it may be a disgruntled teacher with an lawsuit agenda. Apparently she had an employment lawyer present when she made these allegations.

Of course, all of the original reports were sensationalized. The reports you see are all put out there by the media, and the media have a vested interest in scandal. Scandal sells, and that's all they care about. I swear that the local paper in (Baton Rouge, Gainseville, Tuscaloosa, ...) would rather have a scandal than a national championship. More for them to write about and sell.
    :mad:

6. Ellis Hugh

NM, I think that the same teacher who brought that previos allegation is behind this as well. She didn't like the original findings and is now suing LSU.

7. NMTiger

NMTiger Founding Member

That sounds about par for the course. In this day and age we(Americans) feel that if we don't get our way we will sue, sue, and sue. Hopefully it's just a bitter individual trying to destroy something that is much bigger than that individual.

8. GatorInvader

GatorInvader Freshman

This is so true! It's pitiful. Media would rather assume improprieties and use condemning language to perpetuate rumors than to wait for facts and presume innocence. :rolleyes: