What Frustrates Me (and I think, most of us)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by friedriches, Sep 4, 2010.

1. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

I've been quiet around here for a long time now, and so if I post something, let alone start a thread, know it took a lot of effort. I'm hoping most people are on the same page with me, even if I'm kind of a youngster when it comes to being an LSU fan.

I just find it incredibly frustrating that an organization that I have a committed investment in, that I take pride in, that I spent years being educated in and that will soon be coming to me asking for money, is represented on a national stage in such a ridiculous way.

When our team takes a sizable halftime advantage and proceeds to almost give the game away, the complacency and laziness doesn't just represent the coaches (or, ones who I try my darndest to avoid placing any criticism on, the players). It doesn't just represent the administrative staff. It represents me. It represents every member of the sizable alumni body. It represents the typical fan who grew up cheering but never had the chance to go to school. It represents the 6 year-old kid who gets star-struck at the sight of his favorite athlete (who, might I add, is hardly a day over 20 years old).

So if we have some issues, some kinks- ok. If we're not perfect, we lose a couple of games- you know, that's life, that's fine. But when we lose games because we don't pay attention to the clock, or lose 5 games in one season yet have a lead starting the final quarter in all but one of them, or lead a team by TWENTY at the half only to defeat them in the final two seconds on a questionable non-call... something's wrong. You're becoming complacent. You're becoming LAZY.

In his game-ending interview, Les spoke two words that turned me from frustrated into furious, literally yelling for the first time in the night at the screen (at my buddy's bachelor party. Congrats, man!), going into a tirade that had my friends shushing me to hear the TV: "victory formation."

Victory formation.

I have always take the opportunities to defend CLM. I have always given him the benefit of the doubt because I believe we all deserve a little grace, and I value honor and decency over many things, including success. But if you think anything is finished before it is done, in anything in life, I've learned one thing. To quote the greatest Samuel L. Jackson line that is child-friendly: "Hang on to your butts." Victory formation means you've given up. Victory formation means you think that this moment is not dynamic but static.

Victory formation means that you've likely already lost. On offense (anemic, inconsistent, sloppy, vanilla) and defense (soft, unfocused), settling back is the easiest way to let your opponent push you back on your heels.

And it frustrates me that this represents me. I am represented by that lazy, complacent second-half effort, by that epic foul-up at Ole Miss. And so are you. And I think that's one thing that really, really makes us angry.

I can only hope and pray that this was the final wake-up call that was needed- for all involved. Otherwise, we're in for another roller coaster.

1 person likes this.
  2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Cliff notes please?

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Who wants to bet Les Miles told Crowton to pull back the reigns and establish a running game in the 2nd half?

That was Les Miles' halftime adjustment.

4. LSUTiga

That's the Big 10 mentality. All the "up the middle" in the first half when our speed to the corners or down the field could kill them.

5. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Shut up and donate your $2000 to replace a window. :yelwink2:

6. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

See: Ridley's run (that was called back because of a bone-headed hold).

We attacked on runs to the outside very rarely. If it was a running play in the second half, it was a straight gut run, or so it seemed.

It'll be interesting to see the play selection breakdown going into the week.

7. LSUTiga

No misdirection either. Guess they were tying to keep it vanilla but terrible play calling overall imo.

8. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

yeah no ****. Listening to Alleva in the pregame really pissed me off.

9. Dmarzio

Dmarzio Founding Member

I agree with everything you said up until the victory formation part.

I think your getting "victory formation" confused with "complacency."

The victory formation contains one play - the QB kneel. Believe me any time you are in the victory formation it is a good thing.

However, I will agree with you that the complacency we see from the coaching staff is infuriating.

10. LSUpathdoc

LSUpathdoc Trust me, I'm a Doctor

Well I will stand up and say I agree 100% with you here. It really is frustrating watching the complacency of this team the last couple of years. There is no fire, no drive, no (pardon the pun) eye of the tiger. Now dont get me wrong we had flashes of brilliance during this game. But we returned to mediocrity so quickly it scares me. I am beginning to think Les is not the answer for this team. There really are no more excuses, having these kind of recruiting classes and still being mediocre is unacceptable.