what ever happened to vernel singleton?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tiger_in_atl, Mar 12, 2004.

1. tiger_in_atl

tiger_in_atl Freshman

just curious, i saw his name mentioned on another board and i had not thought of him in a long time. did he ever play any pro ball? i remember him being one of the most versatile players we ever had. didn't he play center as a freshman before shaq arrived? for some reason, i have a memory of him being all conference as a freshman, but i could be wrong.

2. conradj

conradj Founding Member

With the Snoopy band aids he used to wear on his shoulder. I loved that dude. I saw Clarence Ceasar out one night not long ago. He is humungous now. Looked like a Tackle. I started reminiscing with him about that sweet lefty 3 pointer he used to knock from the corner.

3. bolobolo

bolobolo Founding Member

Vernel was always one of my favorite players. He was from Natchez, MS which is near to where I'm from. I haven't heard about him since he left LSU.

4. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I think Vernell played overseas a while, dont quote me though

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

i think he played overseas a bit, and then acted a little. i think was on an episode of a soap opera or somethin once.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  6. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

He played some CBA ball for a while. Not sure about where he is now. He was my Mom's favorite player. Before one of the games in the Dome, Georgetown or ND or something, he was shooting all by himself before the game. My Mom yelled his name, a big smile came across his face, and he ran down to the other end of the court to talk with Mom. She said he was a really nice guy and chatted with her for a few minutes before going back to his shoot-around.

7. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Was Vernel in Blue Chips? I seem to remember him in a basketball movie. He was one of my all-time favorites. Played center out of position as a freshman (like Blanton did) and then moved over to SF when Shaq & Stanley came to town. He always played under control and gave what the team needed. I remember one game when he had a big dunk and Dicky V (back when I could tolerate him) screaming, "Vernel Singleton, the high riser, the elevator man!!!"

8. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

he was drafted by rapid city from the CBA in 1992. I thought he played overseas for a while also. I remember I was at Dale Brown's basketball camp and was watching him and a freshman, shaq, have a dunk contest. shaq would dribble down the lane and just try to rip the goal down. vernell would show all the flashy dunks. talk about fun to watch. had stanley roberts sitting on the sidelines with the campers watching them dunk.

vernell is by far my favorite lsu basketball player of all time. just wish i was old enough to have seen Pete play.

9. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

he was in that movie where whoopi goldberg coached the Knicks.
    Yes he was.

I remember one of his dunks against Auburn (it's on the Season in Shaq's House video) where V's entire body is parallel to the floor up by the rim all over some stiff. It is wicked he just like jumps over this guy.

cool bandaids too.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

i definitely remember that shot from that show, the season in shaq's house or whatever. that was awesome. they were introducing the team and when they showed the vernel highlight it was that insane leap over that guy. it was a charge i thought, but nevertheless an incredible jump. that vernel had serious hops.

here is vernel's movie credits:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0802338/