What do you collect???

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUsupaFan, Jul 13, 2008.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I have a big time collecting bug that moves from one thing to another.

I first and foremost collect LSU memorabilia. I have the schedule posters from 1998 to the present framed and am working on getting them on back to 1981, which is the year I was born.

I am presently trying to get a certified autographed rookie card for every LSU player that has one. I have about 40 some of which are serial numbered as low as 25. My favorite is a Bennie Brazell numbered 17/25. It will be a while before I can afford an Addai, Russell, Bowe, Landry or Davis but these special type rookies depreciate in the years following the release.

I also am an avid comics collector. I read Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, and the Walking Dead. Comics from the 60's on have very little value except for the landmark issues. In all I have about 10,000 books.

I also have collected sports cards, but have gotten rid of most of them. I still have a complete Topps baseball set of every year since my birth. The problem is baseball cards were so over printed in the last 20 years that they will never be valuable. I still get a lot of joy looking at the rookies of the greats of my day.

I also have a large LP collection. Name a landmark album and I have a 1st or 2nd pressing.

Lastly I collect action figures, but I mainly buy these for resell. I have made a good bit of change buying figures for a dime at Goodwill and selling them on ebay and other collector websites.

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Once you get the '97 schedule poster, you'll be able to frame a picture of me.

Any tips on attaining the older schedule posters?

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I collect Christmas ornaments and must always have at least one that has the year on it. I have so many ornaments now that I have two Christmas trees. The one in my formal living room was nine feet tall last year.

I also have started an ornament collection for my two daughters. They get a boxed Hallmark ornament each year, and currently, those ornaments are on one of the two trees. My plan is to give them their ornaments when they move away from home, so that they already have 18 or 20 really nice ornaments to start their own collections.

I also collect pictures. I have inherited the family pictures, some dating all the way back to the 1800's, so I have framed pictures in my house that are of, in some cases, my daughters' great great great grandparents. Those are such treasures to me--then my father-in-law just up and gave all of his family pictures to me about seven or eight years ago--so I actually have mine and my husband's side's pictures.

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i do too, stacey. i have old family pics, primarily from my mothers side, but from both my mothers and fathers family. i have pics from the 1800's of my great great grandparents and their children. i have them for both my grandfather's parents, as they were passed to his parents, and then to him. a couple of years before my grandmother died, she brought them out of hiding (she had them where my aunt couldnt find them and "accidentally" pack them) and gave them to me. i also have them of my great great great grandparents. true treasures. i also have the pocket knife that was my great great great grandfather's which has been passed down to each generation. because i do not have children, i will give it to my cousin's son.

i also collect lsu stuff, cookbooks, spode christmas tree china, and 1950's anchor hocking green glass (the green glass goes beautifully with the china).

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

My granny gave me the pictures before she died, too, knowing there could be some disagreement, as to who got them when she was gone. My favorite of all of the pictures is one of my granny when she was a baby (maybe 9 or 10 months old) with her sister, who was around 7 years older. Granny is wearing a gorgeous lace dress, and Aunt 'Cille (Lucille) is wearing a beautiful lace dress with stockings and big bow in her hair, which was curled in ringlets. I have it in my daughters' bedroom, along with baby pictures of a lot of my family.

I did divvy up some of the pictures, though--just not my favorites--and gave them to my aunts and uncles.

The day of my other grandmother's funeral, we met back at her house (sad, because I knew it would be the last time I'd ever be in there), and all of my aunts, uncles, and cousins sat around with her albums and took out the pictures we all wanted.

I went to visit her sister, my great aunt (Danial Latham, from Tulane's, granny), this summer in Covington, and I remembered that she was as into pictures as I am. Every inch of her living room and hallways was filled with pictures of her kids and grandkids (lots of Daniel at the CWS and his sister, Emily, as a Golden Girl.) She even pulled out albums and showed me pictures of me as a kid that I'd never seen. That was awesome to see those.

6. LSUsupaFan

Go to the on campus dorms and ask the RLCs if there are any old posters in the store rooms. I got some doing this.

7. LSUsupaFan

Old pictures are great. For Christmas this year one of my aunts got every family picture from 30's to the present, scanned them, and put them on a cd. There are thousands and thousands of shots documenting the lives of my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

you need to get copies, stacey. offer to pay or split the costs of copy negatives. or if scanned to pay somehow. then get copies made for you.

scanning is a great way, but so are copy negatives. literally taking pictures of the old pictures. a professional photo service can do it with proper lighting to give results better than scanning even. i have copy negatives of the oldest of my pics and the ones that mean the most, and have the negatives in a safe deposit box. if anyone wants copies of the pics, i can have them made. but the negatives are there in case something ever happens to the originals. like fire flood or tornado. my mothers cousin didnt do anything like that and lost the oldest of my granny's side of the family pics in a fire.

9. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I collect fridge magnets. My wife collect useless crap from dumpsters. My kid thinks it is great to help mom with her collection. Lucky me.

10. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I'd find it interesting to know what our fellow TF people have in the way of an LSU collection. My LSU collection had several pieces that were unbelievably great, but I gave them away to friends and family that I felt would appreciate them even more than I did. I'm talking about my friends and family that have decided to do the LSU shrine thing with their entire homes -- I felt that people like that deserved the best LSU stuff, which is why it made me happy to help give it to them.