What are you paying for your deer leases per acre?

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by red55, Mar 17, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Prices are starting to go up it seems. I get $3 an acre, but the paper company land behind me is leased for $5.25 and I'm thinking of going up next season.

What are you folks paying?

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Free market baby. If you can get $5.25 go for it. Since the properties are adjacent I assume all factors are equal.

3. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Would it not depend on the size of the lease? Like if you buy land...100 acres may be $2000/acre. But try to buy ONE of that hundred acres, you ain't getting it for $2000.
    -
    FWIW, I paid $6/acre a couple of years ago up here...but it was a small plot I used used only for bowhunting. (100 acres) Only me and a buddy hunted it.

4. titoabad1

titoabad1 Contributing Member

The club I'm in leases 1600 acres @ $16.50an acre.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's only 120 acres of piney woods in Grant Parish, but the 3 guys that hunt it regularly get deer, squirrel, turkey, and the occasional hog. No waterfowl potential at all, so that hurts a bit.

But they are locals and really good about watching the property, letting me know of any issues, and maintaining the roads and trails. Non-resident land-owners appreciate having dependable folks keep an eye on things. So I don't want to price these three retired brothers out of it, but when they turn it over to their sons, which may happen soon . . . I may want to move up to the local average.

6. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

It sounds like you help each other out on the deal. Not to tell you how to run your business, but I'd at least let em know you were lookin to move up prices.

We've got a good deal on 150 acres here, $4.00 an acre. But the hunting is something to be desired. 'Cept tree rats. Plenty of those.

7. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

My uncle and cousin are the only people that are approved to hunt on our land. They do well. Recently a dam on a holding pond broke near our property and our creek bottom was damaged. They found a lawyer for us to take care of the situation. Got $93K the other day for something I wasn't even thinking about. I think my uncle and cousin can keep hunting for free....