very good fettuccine recipe.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Apr 19, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

FETTUCCINE CARBONARA WITH GORGONZOLA

"I had a delightful dinner at Andiamo! Ristorante while on vacation in San Diego," writes Laverne Smith of Seattle, Washington. "Could you get their recipe for fettuccine carbonara? It was the best pasta I’ve ever had."
    Prepare the sauce while the pasta is cooking to ensure that the fettuccine will be hot when the sauce is finished; the heat of the pasta cooks the raw eggs that are tossed with it. (note: adding raw eggs to hot pasta is traditional in rome and is done alot for early morning meals. it provides a creamy sauce texture to the pasta. if you want you can separate and just use the yolks to avoid any potential scrambling of the whites in the pasta).

1 pound fettuccine
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 1/2 8-ounce packages frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, quartered
    1 1/2 cups crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (about 6 ounces)
    1 cup whipping cream
    1 cup half and half
    1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 large eggs, beaten to blend
    8 slices cooked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Cook pasta in heavy large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain well, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Add artichoke hearts; sauté 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese, cream, half and half, crushed red pepper, black pepper and salt and simmer until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.

Add hot pasta to sauce and toss to coat. Remove from heat. Add eggs to pasta and toss well. Add bacon, 1/2 cup Gorgonzola, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and parsley and toss to incorporate. Add reserved pasta cooking liquid to thin sauce, if desired. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Gorgonzola and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese over pasta and serve.

Make 6 (first-course) or 4 (main-course) servings.

2. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

and here is the traditional version of fettuccine alfredo (i had this in rome at alfredo's and this recipe is legit.....they don't add a cream sauce.....keep it simple and delicious):

Fettuccine Alfredo

This recipe was influences by Fred Plotkin. His recipe is included in his book, "The Authentic Pasta Book". This book, now out of print, offers a historical regional look at Italian pasta recipes.

This recipe has caused much debate in Pasta Lovers Newsletter. The debate is if Fettuccine Alfredo contains cream or not. Plotkin's recipe calls for 1/2 a stick of sweet (unsalted) butter and up to 4 onces of cheese per portion. I cut back a bit on the butter and cheese and combine all ingredients in the same pot I used to cook the pasta after I drain the pasta and water out of the pot. Plotkin's recipe calls for combining all ingredients in a warm bowl.

********** Fettuccine Alfredo *****************

The traditional Fettuccine Alfredo only has 3 ingredients:

fettuccine
    sweet butter
    freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano

I have seen everything from cream, eggs and bacon in this dish. To make the original, cook pasta until done. Reserve some pasta water. Drain pasta and return to drained pot. Add butter to taste and until it coats the pasta. Add cheese to taste and stir until melted. If pasta is a bit too tight, add some of the pasta water or a little warmed chicken stock.