very good fajita recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Apr 16, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

here is a fajita recipe that uses tequila as part of the marinate (recipe from karen graber):

Fajitas de Res al Tequila:
    Beef Fajitas with Tequila

At the El Callejon restaurant in Tequila, Jalisco, my questions about preparation and proportions led to an invitation to their large, open kitchen area, where there was always something appetizing sizzling on the grill. This is a good recipe for outdoor cooking, but may also be prepared in a skillet. Although the tequila was added at the end as I watched the dish being prepared, I have had better results at home by marinating it beforehand.

Ingredients:

2 lb. skirt steak (you could use sirloin)
    3 garlic cloves, peeled and mashed
    1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    4 tablespoons tequila
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 bell peppers, all green or assorted colors, cut into strips
    1 large white onion, sliced into thin crescents (half rings)

Preparation:

Cut the steak into pieces that will fit on your grill, or into your grill pan or skillet.

Place the pieces of meat in a non-reactive bowl.

Mix the garlic, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, lime juice, tequila, cumin, and salt.

Pour over the meat and marinate for 2 hours.

Remove the meat from the marinade and grill over hot coals or in a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat.

Do not allow the meat to dry out by overcooking.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and sautee the peppers and onions over medium-high heat until crisp-tender.

Cut the grilled meat into strips and serve with the pepper-and-onion mixture, warm flour tortillas, and sliced avocado, letting diners make their own fajita tacos.

Serves 6.