Top South LBers

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by alumni95, Jan 14, 2004.

1. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

anybody have an opinion on why we didn't have much of a shot at some great LB recruits from the south this year?

according to Rivals & Insiders, 3 of the top LB's in the country came from the deep south and all were in the overall Top 15 recruits. They were also all ***** recruits. LB was still somewhat of a need position for LSU, but it never looked like we had a chance with these guys. With the awesome defensive display that we had this year, you think these guys would have at least considered us, or we would have tried to target them.

Willie Williams LB (Miami, FL) #1 LB #2 overall recruit (Insiders)
    #1 OLB, #11 overall recruit (Rivals)

Brandon Miller LB/DE (Colquitt, GA) #5 overall recruit (Insiders)
    #7 overall recruit (Rivals)

Keith Rivers LB (Lake Mary, FL) #4 LB #13 overall recruit (Insiders)
    #1 ILB, #3 overall recruit (Rivals)

The real slap in the face is that Rivers just committed to USC.

Anybody have any insight?

2. conradj

conradj Founding Member

It is really tough to get players from florida. They grow up being Noles, Gator, or CAnes fans and that is where they want to go. Some do wasnt to leave but most stay. Coach Saban is doing an excellent job in Fla. 2 or 3 Fla kids a year is really good. I think we start working texas harder myself

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I would guess that the Coordinator and Saban look at who is available, try to go after them but if they show no interest they kind of mark them off the list and go elsewhere. Plus Saban wanted a JUCO guy as we were going to be thin at LB next year as far as experince goes. They were hoping Hollis would fill that void this year but he had a hard time learning the system.

4. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

good answers. i also meant to mention that I definitely don't mean to 2nd guess Saban or the recruiting staff. also, we do have some great recruits and other LB prospects. So far we have picked up L. Sanders from W. Monroe, Kuale (who is supposed to be from the Ray Lewis mold according to one report), Q Johnson from WSJ, and Stoltz from Arkansas. Not to mention the hottest news is the enrollment of Ali Highsmith (graduated last year and committed to Miami).

Then we got Hollis the highly recruited JUCO last year, who now has had a year to learn and practice in the system.

So we should be in great shape. And with Spears, Hill, and Webster coming back... WOW!!

5. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

Kuale's history, something about a class not carrying over and not being able to enter the school until the fall semester, not giving enough time to learn the system and contribute next year.