top 5 on foodnetwork is a rip-off....

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by snorton938, May 3, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

the number 1 spot went to neon signs over cereal box prizes.....now....i want any of you to tell me that you'd want your mom to drive by a neon sign instead of getting you your favorite (or even not favorite cereal) with that prize talked about at school all-over.....no way.

2. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

I can't stand Top 5! They are usually doing stupid crap like, "Top 5 spoons used to eat a monkeys a$$" or something stupid like that.

If they did Top 5 Chicken joints around the nation, or Top 5 Burger joints around the nation it'd be a hell of a lot better.

I'll stick with Good Eats, Emeril, Bobby Flay and Iron Chef.

3. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

I just can't stomach the gay guys that host top 5. I also want to slap Bobby Flay every time I see him just for being a damn yankee.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

here is a top 5 of shows on the food network:

1. good eats
    2. iron chef
    3. unwrapped
    4. thirty minute meals
    5. whatever theat new jamie oliver thing is where he is making a restaurant.

emeril is a chump, bam!

5. snorton938

i think the name of jamie's show is "watch these disfunctional kids tank jamie's career".

6. bayoutider

Looking at the recruits Jamie Oliver has for his restaurant should make us all glad he is a chef and not a football recruiter. :D Now I love British humour but I can tell you from experience, other than breakfast, English cooking has a long way to go to catch up with some others.

What do you guys think about the American Iron Chef series that has just started with Wolfgang Puck, Mario Batali and Bobby Flay vs the Jap iron chefs?

On Emeril. I have made several of his recipies and they all turn out and taste pretty good. His show on the other hand I am finding annoying. When he starts that grunting noise I cringe and even though I know he is working against a clock, he rushes and his presentations look crappy.

Alton Brown is my favorite by far. I also like Sarah Moulton and Sarah's Secrets. She teaches as she cooks. I also like Food 911 and Tyler Florence. He teaches as well.

7. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

I like Emeril, but I swear if I hear, "I don't know where you get your _________ (insert anything here), but where I get mine they don't come seasoned" I'm going to kick someone in the neck.

8. snorton938

i know what you mean about british cooking. 101 ways to cook mutton doesn't exactly thrill me. i like making their scones though (easy and tasty.....especially the buckingham palace ones). as far as iron chef america, we had some jamming discussion when it originally aired and i bought the dvd's. if you like emeril then buy his first cookbook (probably his best). problem i have is that his ingredient count in alot of his recipes is way too high for louisiana cooking (you could run up a bill higher buying the ingredients than going out to eat it). authentic louisiana cooking (my opinion) doesn't have many ingredients in most cases or alot of processing steps. the real art to it is in the seasonings as well as allowing things to simmer so that the flavors have time to really cook in (cooking slow). my favorite shows are paula's home cooking and everyday italian with my gal giada (ooh laa laa :D ). i like these shows because they're right up my alley....low ingredient count (but quality ingredients) and minimal processing steps and not a ton of pots and pans to clean up at the end.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

:grin: :grin: :grin:

And what's up with that goober they have for a host? Is he Urkel grown up?

10. bayoutider

I do have some of Emeril's books. I agree that his recipies are a bit challenging compaired to some of the creole and cajun recipies I know. Paula Dean is pretty good, try her Gorilla Bread that's pretty good. And Gaida, wow, you and I have similar tastes. I bet she does taste good.