Top 12 Football Programs Recruiting 2006-2017

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by islstl, Jan 2, 2016.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I disagree. They recruit better players and get better results. That's all there is to it.

2. Brian

Brian Founding Member

So the team with the better rated recruiting classes always finish ahead of other teams with not as highly rated recruits..?

3. mobius481

no, but you argue that they develop better. We all know they recruite better so it's impossible to say if they develop better or worse because we know their starting point is higher. We also know that we have more guys in the NFL. So it seems we develop very well and while they do too, it's not fair to say they develop guys better than we do when you consider the beginning and end points.

You mention RB WR and DB. What about OL. We have Trai Turner and Andrew Whitworth in the pro bowl this year and La'el Collins probably could be. We have 10 d-linemen in the league too. We do an exceptional job developing players. I think if you knock anything, it can be our gameday decision making and game planning. That I won't argue with you about.

KyleK likes this.
  4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Trai Turner too dude is wrecking it. Makes you wonder why LSU wasn't as good as they could have been in 2014.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

They have recruited better, but LSU isn't that far behind. They do recruit and develop better at certain positions while LSU has them beat at others. The biggest difference has been recruiting and developing QBs, as well as fielding a coherent balanced offense.

Ole Miss hasn't out recruited Bama either, but they've won two straight. Recruiting is very very important. Player development is very very important. But to say it boils down to just those two things is greatly over simplifying things.

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Top 10 or 15 in recruiting is usually enough to be in the discussion if you have a coaching staff that can coach and a schedule that is favorable. Other than that, there are so many variable that make an appearance on the list, or not, understandable.

Oregon was nobody until Uncle Phil stepped in with his hundreds of millions. They also wisely followed the SEC model of not overstacking their non-conference schedule with tough games, they try to have a bye week before conference play starts, and they are getting looks and commits from great skill players. They still lose to furd (we all do) when it comes to recruiting the trenches.

Michigan is very much like the LSU or Texas of the midwest. Kids in that region grow up fixated on playing for Michigan but they have lost their edge in terms of coaching. Harbaugh is their 3rd since Carr left after 2007 and the combo of Rodriguez and Hoke was just poison for them while Sweater Vest was cheatin and then Corch Meyer settled in over at Ahia St.

USC was on probation for 3 of those years and the effects are still being felt. I'm surprised we are near the top in either category.

Saban is Saban. Dude can recruit and coach.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Then follow that up with a weak Pac-10 schedule.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  8. Brian

Brian Founding Member

They don't develop players for the college game better than we do? Scoreboard, brother. Look at the championships and records in recent years. We both have top 5 recruiting class talent and they have the hardware. Something is happening besides just slightly better recruiting. They are coaching up a.k.a. developing their talent for the college game better. That's what I have said and you've offered nothing to refute it..

Did you read what I wrote..? Cause I addressed the OL.

Whitworth is a Saban recruit and he was coached almost entirely under his staff at LSU. So terrible example there. We're talking about Miles' development of kids here. Whitworth was drafted in 2006.

As for Trai, La'El, and soon to be Vadal and Hawkins I said this:

Until recently. :)

tirk likes this.
  9. mobius481

They have better coaches on gameday. That's what I offered along with the fact that they have more talent. You just dont' agree with it which is fine. We have so many negative people bashing our development and there is no evidence of that. Player development and gameday coaching and decision making are two different things.

10. Brian

Brian Founding Member

I don't consider myself a negative fan, and I'm usually extremely optimistic. I like Miles, but he does frustrate me. There's no question you're right he's not a good gameday coach up against the best of the best, but there's also the fact our OL underperformed for years under Stud as well as we've had atrocious QB play. Grimes has done a better job with the OL, but our QBs aren't bad just because we're not good on gameday coaching-wise. We do develop great guys in the secondary, the offensive backfield, often underrated linebackers, and we've put out a lot of DL to the pros. We aren't as good across the board as a developmental staff, but that doesn't mean every position is underdeveloped or poorly done so.

tirk likes this.